Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Deleting or Hiding a Custom Field

This support ticket is created 2 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by simchaH 2 years, 8 months ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author

I was wondering what would be my best option for the below scenario:

I have two fields part of a custom field group that I created, that are no longer necessary- however in the past these were needed and they may be useful in the future. I wouldn't prefer to delete the data already in these fields, but I don't need any data entered into them at least for now. If I delete these custom fields, does that automatically delete all data that was entered in to the previously created posts? Is there a way to simply do a css trick to "display : none ;" for those specific fields so that no one will be able to see these fields anymore?

Thanks,
Simcha

Hello,

Deleting custom field from field group won't delete field values.

In your case, I suggest you try these:
1) Backup your website database first.
2) Edit that custom field group, remove the custom field you mentioned above
3) In the future, when you need that field again:
Edit that custom field group, click button "Add New Field", and click button "Choose from previously created fields", choose that field.

You will be able to restore the field values again

Thank you for your quick response. Okay and when I remove it, all the posts with data in those fields won't be deleted?

Deleting custom field from field group won't delete field data, but in case any unexpected result, please backup your website database first.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.