Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Custom checkboxes field NOT showing up in View Query Filter Menu

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

The problem here is that the user's custom checkboxes fields aren't showing up on their query filter.

Solution:

To resolve this you will need to go to your custom field settings and ensure that "When unchecked, don't save anything to the database" is selected.

Once that is done go to one of your posts and resave it.

This should make the field start showing up in the query filter section.

This support ticket is created 2 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by gordonW-2 2 years, 8 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

I have a custom Checkboxes field that has 4 different checkboxes.

When I went to filter a view by said checkboxes, the field is not listed. Why not? How can I make it work?

also ... how does one clean out dead / bad field names from the query filter menu ?

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

I suspect the reason that you do not see your checkboxes filter is that your posts do not have any checked options (so there is no data saved for the field in the posts themselves), and you have the default View search option set to "Show only filter options that would produce results".

Because no posts have checked options, there are no options to show that would produce results.

Once you start checking options in the posts the filter should appear, or you can remove the above option from the View Search settings.

Can you show a screenshot of what you mean by the bad field names you want to remove?

Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 8.05.14 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 8.05.20 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 7.50.06 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 7.49.57 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 7.50.46 AM.png

ok .. the page where I am adding the view, only shows products where the checkbox in question is located. and I know they've been checked because when I added another checkbox field with only 1 option, that item shows up in the view query filter list.

The multi option CHECLBPXES field, that's won't show up in the query filter list, is named SKU Attribute
The single option CHECKBOXES field, that does show up in the query filter is named SKU Show Stocked in USA?

Screenshots:
2 x bad data in the query filter list that I would like to be rid of (the tall skinny ones)
1 screen shot showing the query filter section (good values have SKU prefix) (working single option checkboxes are located amongst the bad data and are not listed with the other SKU prefixed items.
1 screenshot showing the checkboxes field set up for SKU Attributes
1 screenshot showing the checkboxes field set up for SKU Show Stocked In USA?

Again, no CHECKBOXES field fields are listed in the query filter menu ... only CHECKBOXES fields with single options are.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Gordon,

Thank you for getting in touch.

Would you mind allowing me admin access to the site so that I can have a more detailed look at this one for you.

Secondly you can delete the custom fields that are no longer being used by going to Toolset -> Custom Fields and scrolling down and clicking on Post Field Control.

Just search for the custom field that you want to delete and you can permanently delete it from there.

Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

private fields

Shane
Supporter

Hi Gordon,

SKU attributes should be showing up now. What I did was to set the field to "When unchecked, don't save anything to the database" then go into one of the sku posts and then just resave the post.

If you check your view you should see the SKU attributes field showing up now.

Please let me know if this helps.
Thanks,
Shane

ok ... so I swear I tried that, but who knows. Regardless, thank you for taking the time to help straighten that out

Much appreciated!

My issue is resolved now. Thank you! !

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.