Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Critical Error message when trying to access settings

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I cannot see Toolset settings in wp-admin. The page is blank and I see an error "There has been a critical error on your website. Please check your site admin email inbox for instructions."

Solution: A fatal error is triggered on some Toolset pages in wp-admin when other 3rd-party plugins utilize the WordPress REST API. A workaround is available in the erratum post here, and the permanent fix will be included in the next plugin release.

Relevant Documentation:
https://toolset.com/errata/fatal-error-on-the-toolset-dashboard-page-when-using-3rd-party-plugins-that-use-wordpress-rest-api/

This support ticket is created 4 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 4 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

I submitted a ticket and was advised to create a custom shortcode. When I tried to register the shortcode through the settings I get this error:

Toolset Settings

There has been a critical error on your website. Please check your site admin email inbox for instructions.

Learn more about debugging in WordPress.

I've never received an email with information on how to fix this.

Jim

Hello, can you share the code you used to register your shortcode? Can you tell me where you placed this code?

All the svg code is in the previous ticket about svg images not displaying.

I created a different ticket because the critical error issue was being ignored. I Don’t believe the error message is related to the my attempts to display an svg.

I haven’t registered the code because I couldn’t use the settings.

Before I can make any more progress I have to clear the critical error and access settings.

I’m a bit frustrated because the other issue is not resolved.

Okay I'll use the login information from your other ticket and take a quick look to see if I can figure out the critical error. Stand by and I'll update you shortly.

Okay I see what you are describing, none of the Toolset Settings page is working because of an error. If you haven't received any emails regarding the nature of the critical error, we may need to check the server logs for more information. If you're not familiar with server logs, I can give you more information about that. Some hosting companies set up server logs for you automatically in a file called "error_log" that exists on your server in the root directory of your site. That would be something like yoursite.com/error_log. I tried that URL on your site and got a security restriction error message, so that's a decent indicator that your hosting company has this set up for you and the logs already exist there. You'll need to use FTP to log into the server, download the file, and read the relevant information from it. Copy the contents from today if possible and include those in your next reply.

If there is no error_log file on the server, I can show you how to activate one temporarily. Go in your wp-config.php file and look for

define('WP_DEBUG', false);

Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

Then add these lines, just after the WP_DEBUG line:

define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', dirname(__FILE__) . '/error_log.txt');
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );
@ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );
define('WP_DISABLE_FATAL_ERROR_HANDLER',true);

Upload the changes to wp-config.php to your server using FTP, then refresh the page at wp-admin > Toolset > Settings. This should create an error_log.txt file in your site's root directory. Download it with FTP, copy its contents, and paste them in your next reply. Once that is done, you can revert the changes you made to wp-config.php and delete the error_log.txt file.

We can review the logs and determine next steps.

Can you provide FTP information? I'm trying to fix a problem on the site and there is a 500 error so I can't use the WP File Manager plugin.

I'm getting an invalid password message from FTP with that login information, can you check? If you're able to access FTP you can temporarily disable Views by going to wp-content/plugins and renaming wp-views to something like wp-views-backup. That should give us access to wp-admin again immediately, then I can make adjustments with WP File Manager if needed.

Okay got it. The issue is explained here: https://toolset.com/errata/fatal-error-on-the-toolset-dashboard-page-when-using-3rd-party-plugins-that-use-wordpress-rest-api/

Unfortunately this issue affects several Toolset plugins, so I had to apply the patch in Views and CRED (Forms). You can now access the Settings page successfully. Please check and let me know if that is not the case for you, I just checked and it was working well.

If you reinstall the current versions of Views or Forms, you MUST reapply the patch file. The next updates for Views and Forms will include the fix, so you won't need to worry about the patch in future releases.

Thank you so much for your help, Christian! I can confirm I have access to the admin area and the Toolset settings page.

I don't see why I would need to reinstall those views but I saw the link to download the patches.

So we can close this ticket and I can try the custom code from the other ticket to get the SVG files to display correctly.

Have a great rest of your day.

Jim

Glad to get that fixed, I will close here per your comments.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.