Skip Navigation

[Resolved] creatim custom post relationships

This support ticket is created 4 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 4 years, 8 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

We need to allow the editor team to add to a custom post some related posts to be displayed at the bottom of the post itself. Those posts shall be dediced freely so no specific pre-relationship rule shal be defined.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

I'm not sure I understand the requirement.

Post relationships let you define relationships between two post types and then connect posts of those types together (with some limitations at present, like you cannot connect the same two posts more than once).

You have to set up the relationships between the post types to be able to connect the posts, you cannot have a freeform connect anything to anything without first specifying the post types involved.

Even if you use the post reference custom field you must specify the post type that will be connected to.

(One alternate way of "connecting" posts can be to group them with taxonomies.)

I try to explain better my request.
When an editor insert a new custom post, he needs a way to add some related posts by choosing freely at least 3/4 posts from the available custom post.
For example in a custom post regarding a red chair, the editor needs to show at the bottom of that post some other furniture that can be connected with that chair for example a red table or a red carpet, but this relationship shall be decided freely by the user (for example he can decide to relate the post of a blue chair even if it is not read but is related because is mada from the same designer).
What we imagine in the interface is to have a set of 3/4 fields where the editor shall select the related posts, is it that possible?

Nigel
Supporter

Unfortunately not.

Currently Toolset doesn't support self-joining relationships, that is, connecting posts of the same type to each other.

So if you have a "furniture" post type, you could connect its posts to to posts of different types, but not to other furniture posts (e.g. a red chair to a blue chair).

The only way you could do that would be to use taxonomies.

Say you have a "modern" collection and a "classic" collection, i.e. a "collection" taxonomy with "modern" and "classic" and other terms.

Your red and blue chairs might both belong to the "modern" collection.

Then when displaying a blue chair post you could add a View to display other posts from the "modern" collection, such as the red chair.

Maybe that fits your use case. But you are constrained by the normal UI for applying taxonomy terms. You have to edit (or quick edit) the posts to assign the terms.

We do intend to add support for self-joining relationships, and that may be more useful, but it is not currently available. You can request it be developed here: https://toolset.com/home/contact-us/suggest-a-new-feature-for-toolset/

So in order to get what we need a workaround for that could be to create a set of 3 / 4 fields that call views of specific posts?

How can I allow the editor to choose to display a post view by for example selecting post title from a select field?

Nigel
Supporter

Are your users editing posts in the backend or on the frontend?

in the backend

Nigel
Supporter

Then there isn't much I can do, Toolset doesn't provide for customising the backend post edit screens.

If you were editing on the front end you could insert a generic select field which displayed post titles and stored the post IDs as option values, and you could generate the options using a View, so while editing the post the user could choose post titles to connect.

But Toolset doesn't offer any way of customising the backend editor in a similar way.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.