Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Converting custom post types to users

This support ticket is created 4 years, 9 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shane 4 years, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

Hello,

Over 2 years ago I built, along with the help of Toolset technicians, a membership website that used a custom post type to create members. These members then had other custom post types associated with them.

Now I've come to a point where I need to add more options for these members, including the possibility of paying for their membership.

I want to know if it's possible to convert a custom post type to a user?

Thank you

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Arrien,

Thank you for getting in touch.

Actually it is not possible to convert a user to a custom post type. Actually if you take a look at the link below you will see how we handle memberships.
https://toolset.com/learn/create-membership-site-wordpress-using-toolset-plugins/

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

I actually want to convert a custom post type to a user.

The CPT has similar fields to what a user might fill out.

What do you think?

Shane
Supporter

Hi Arrien,

Its actually not possible to convert a custom post type to a user.

If you want your users to have a profile then you can allow them to fill out a profile CPT field which would have fields that you would normally assign to the user.

The benefit of this is that you can have publicly displayed profiles of your users.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

What if I exported the CPT fields and imported that information back into WordPress as a CSV, but created users with that data? Then relink the "new" users with the other CPT associated with them previously?

Shane
Supporter

Hi Arrien,

This I believe won't work as Users and Posts are completely separate data structures so how the data is built is completely different.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.