Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Completely hide the admin area, only let contributors post and view

The Toolset Community Forum is closed, for technical support questions, please head on to our Toolset Professional Support (for paid clients), with any pre-sale or admin question please contact us here.
This support ticket is created 8 years, 5 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.
This is the community support forum for Types plugin, which is part of Toolset. Toolset is a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients and people who registered for Types community support can post in it.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Beda 8 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

I am trying to: allow visitors to register (I've correctly set them to be 'contributors') and then post to the site. But I don't want them to see or access the WP dashboard. Everything needs to be done through CRED forms.

I've already successfully created the registration and login pages but when they're logged in they see the admin bar and can then view/edit their profile and also view all the posts. I simply want to keep them to the front-end site completely.

I've searched everywhere to find the solution and have installed Access in the hope that offered it but all that's done is hide my CRED registration form!

If you could point me in the right direction I would be extremely grateful.

Many thanks.

Thank you for contacting us here in the Support Forum

What you try to achieve is possible but it requires Customization of the WordPress default behaviors.

See below:

1. I don't want them to see or access the WP dashboard.

A user will always be able to access it, as long he calls /wp-admin.
This can only be avoided with Custom PHP Redirects, put into your Themes functions.php file.

There are also Plugins doing that, like iThemes Security
hidden link

Please be careful both with Plugins and PHP.
Infinte loops or unexpected Login issues can be caused when modifying the WordPress login behavior and admin links.

2. But when they're logged in they see the admin bar and can then view/edit their profile and also view all the posts. I simply want to keep them to the front-end site completely.

Then you need Custom PHP code to fully hide the Admin bar and also redirect users to the front end if a certain role tries to access the WP Admin.

The Profile as example is always accessible even if you use the ACCESS Plugin.
This would require custom code or a 3rd party Plugin.

3. I have installed Access in the hope that offered it but all that's done is hide my CRED registration form!

You can control almost all of the desired points with Access.
Not the WP Admin Profile though.

The CRED Forms are hidden most probably because in the Access Settings or the relevant CRED Forms, certain Roles are not enabled to edit or create posts with hits CRED Forms.
See:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/access-control-for-cred-forms/

4. I would suggest, if you are not familiar with the WP API and PHP, to use Access to un-allow control over all Custom Posts in the Admin, and allow the users to see there Profiles (default)

If you want to use PHP and WP API you can consult this:
hidden link

Please let me know if you need further infos about this.

Thank you for your patience.

The forum ‘Types Community Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.