Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Comment Notification Emails Not Working for Custom Post Types

This support ticket is created 5 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 0.17 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Shane 5 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

Hi - I am using Toolset and Elementor to create and format custom post types. The Elementor Comments widget seems to work in terms of creating comments, which show up in the Comments tab of my WordPress site. But I found the following:
1. If the Elementor Comments widget is used in a regular post, as the admin, I receive the normal new comment notification email. This is a test post: hidden link
2. If the Elementor Comments widget in a Custom Post Type, as the admin, I DO NOT receive the normal new comment notification email. This is a test custom post type: hidden link

Thank you for your help in advance. Mark

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

Well - can you please share access details so I can see how you setup your comment widget exactly where. Once I review your setup I will try to reproduce the issue on my test install.

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

Shane
Supporter

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Gavin,

Before I log into the site could you try manually creating a custom post type using php?

You can use this generator below.
hidden link

Then add the code to your theme's function.php file as a test. This way we can isolate the issue to see if it is in fact only being affected by Post Types created in our Types plugin.

Please try this and let me know.

Thanks,
Shane

HI Shane - I'm not a programmer and don't feel comfortable doing this myself. You should have login access. Please feel to give it a shot. Thank you, Mark

Shane
Supporter

Hi Gavin,

I've created the CPT using the Custom Code.
hidden link

What you can do is to create a post and setup your elementor template and then see if the messages are still sent out.

Thanks,
Shane

2019-02-24_8-59-22.png

Hi Shane - Sorry for the slow response. I set up a an Elementor Template, but it says that comments are closed (see attached). The test post inside the template is here hidden link I tried following the instructions in the screen shot, but I can't see any controls to allow comments in either the post editor or the WP discussion settings. I ran into this before when using Types and needed to change the CPT setting in Types to allow comments. I am wondering if there is an equivalent allow comments setting in that manual CPT creation that you did for "cars" that needs to be changed? Thank you for your help, Mark

Shane
Supporter

Hi Gavin,

I've enabled the comments on this CPT so you should be able to add comments to it now.

Please check and let me know if there are any issues at all.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane - I was able to get the Cars comments working, but an still not receiving WP notification of new comments (same problem originally described).

Shane
Supporter

Hi Gavin,

Then this isn't a Toolset issue per say since when we setup a custom post type with using the wordpress default setup it doesn't work then.

I would suggest contacting the elementor support team and letting them know what we've tested here so that they can have a look at it from their end.

If the issue was only present with Toolset custom post types then we would be able to have a look at what we are doing wrong.

Thanks,
Shane

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.