Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Clearly warn customers and users not to upgrade Toolset starter child

This support ticket is created 7 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 -
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Juan 7 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Juan.

Author

I am trying to: Coustomize Toolset starter theme

I visited this URL:

I expected to see: Toolset starter child updated

Instead, I got: lose all my coustomization, thanks!!!

Juan
Supporter

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi Michelea

Thanks for the feedback.

It is the nature of parent-child themes relationships that you upgrade the parent theme and you do your modifications on the child theme, which should not get updated. Updating a theme always overrides your modifications, and that is why the one that should get updated is the parent one.

Now, I do understand that being promtped to update your theme child automatically leads you to do it. Looking at the changelog for the 1.1 version, here:
https://toolset.com/version/toolset-starter-child-1-1/
I see that it had one minor change only.

Because of that, I would recommend to modify the child theme once you install it. Child themes are not supposed to get updates, nor shoudl they stay named as originally when you downloaded them. Othewise, it stops being a child theme and become another parent-like theme. We need to keep on updating the child theme as part of natural iterations, so I will pass the word upwards to see whether we can either wanr before update or disable updating completely.

Hope it helps.

Regards.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.