Skip Navigation

[Resolved] changing a user role – adds an extra role rather than changing it

This support ticket is created 4 years, 5 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by bryan 4 years, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author
Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 20.19.53.png

I am trying to:
change user role from custom role xx to custom role yy

I expected to see:
The role should change - as per normal wordpress behaviour

What I see:
with access enabled the selected role is added rather than being changed

In the below example I downgraded a role to subscriber but the higher level is retained unless specifically removed.

I was thinking I had a setting wrong but I cannot find one either in access settings or in the doc.

https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/managing-wordpress-admin-capabilities-access/?utm_source=accessplugin&utm_campaign=product&utm_medium=plugin&utm_term=multiple-roles#using-multiple-roles-per-user

thanks in advance for your help

...this did not happen at access v2.6

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

The Additional Roles setting is for adding an additional role to the existing role for a user, so that the user has multiple roles.

If you only want one role, and to change which single role is assigned to the user, then this setting is not for you.

You should uncheck any additional roles you may have already selected, and then use the normal role selector to choose the one role you want to assign to the user.

In your screenshot the user has the Subscriber role set, and additionally has the custom Tour Guide role assigned.

If you only want the user to be a Tour Guide, you should uncheck Tour Guide from the Additional Roles section and then specify Tour Guide in the Role dropdown.

Nigel,

yes that's exactly my problem - but I have been unable to find where to turn the so called Additional Roles setting off.

...of course I know how to manually remove a role from a user. That isn't my point.

Something changed between access 2.6 and 2.8 which changed the behavior of the role pulldown in my screen shot.

thanks

Here is a link to the way the role pulldown and the text link below it, is working...

hidden link

Nigel
Supporter

I watched the video, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to get from it, it looks like things are working as expected, I couldn't spot the problem.

What changed between 2.6 and 2.8 was that support for multiple roles was added. If you don't need to assign multiple roles to a user, you need never expand that "I want to add more roles to this user" section, and just use the dropdown in the same way as before.

Is the problem that you don't want the support for multiple roles at all? You want to disable it?

The pulldown adds roles rather than replacing them. There is a text link under the pulldown is to add roles, so the pulldown should not be doing it.

its a bug

Nigel
Supporter

OK, I can see it now, thanks for persevering.

Let me escalate this so that it can be fixed.

I'll get back to you when I have some news.

Nigel,

I don't want to admit how long it took me to see it 🙁

Thanks for the quick reply...

I just noticed access 2.8.2 hit the beta channel last night - so for a minute there, ....but the behavior is the same.

cheers
bryan

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Bryan

Just to let you know the fix for this is included in Access 2.8.3 which was released today.

Let me know if you still see problems.

That seems to work fine thanks Nigel

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.