Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Change the menu style in Toolset Starter Theme

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I would like to customize some aspects of the Toolset Starter Theme, including the menu style.

Solution: You can write any custom CSS you would like to override the Toolset Starter Theme's styles. You can also go to Appearance > Customize > Advanced Settings to disable the theme's CSS. Then you can add any CSS overrides in Toolset > Layouts CSS, or to a child theme's style.css file. To remove the background color from the main menu and make the link text red, you can do something like this:

.navbar-default, body .ddl-navbar-default {
    background: none;
}

.ddl-navbar-nav > li > a {
    color: red;
}

If you are starting a custom theme, I do not recommend basing it on Toolset Starter Theme. This theme is being deprecated and should not be used as anything but a reference.

This support ticket is created 5 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 1.83 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 5 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Dear Sir/Madam,

I use the Layout to design the page, I use the Toolset Starter as the theme. I don't like the menu style, I don't want to have background color or the menu item, I want to have color text to the menu item. I change the Primary color to my favour color but that is not what I want. How can I change the menu css? Which elements are related to the menu?

Best regards,

Kelvin.

Hi, you can write any custom CSS you would like to override the Toolset Starter Theme's styles. You can also go to Appearance > Customize > Advanced Settings to disable the theme's CSS. Then you can add any CSS overrides in Toolset > Layouts CSS, or to a child theme's style.css file. To remove the background color from the main menu and make the link text red, you can do something like this:

.navbar-default, body .ddl-navbar-default {
    background: none;
}

.ddl-navbar-nav > li > a {
}

Dear Christian Cox,

Many thanks for your prompted reply, I found the element should be

body .ddl-navbar-default .ddl-navbar-nav >li > a, 
body .ddl-navbar-default .ddl-navbar-nav>.current-menu-item > a {

By the way, may I know any documentation about these elements on Toolset site? I think I need more in-depth information about all menu items' element including the sub-menu. Having the documentation, it is good for us to have our own theme design base on the Toolset Starter theme. Hope you can help.

Best regards,

Kelvin.

Actually no, there is no additional documentation on the site about the menu elements or the CSS styles that apply to them. Note that the existing TS theme documentation says:

Toolset Starter is a clean and modern Bootstrap-based theme designed to help you get started using Toolset plugins.

https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/toolset-starter-theme/#about-the-theme
In other words, Toolset Starter is not designed to be fully customizable and extensible for your site needs, it's designed to help you get started with Toolset and understand the components of our software suite. If you want to build your own custom theme, then I do not recommend using Toolset Starter as anything but a reference. Customizing the Toolset Starter theme will be difficult, and you will spend more time fighting the existing theme than will be time- or cost-effective.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.