Skip Navigation

[Closed] Category or Taxonomy Parametric Search Functionality …

This support ticket is created 2 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 2 years, 6 months ago.

Author

Hey guys ...

I built a parametric search for my client but they are not happy with how it operates. I am going to attempt to show you how they DO WANT it to work and, if needed and appropriate, I can create a sample animation to help you understand what is needed. The live page in question is this:

hidden link

You should notice the left hand parametric filter ( categories by checkboxes ) at the left of the page.

As it stands now, the results that show up using checkboxes AND/OR dropdown show ALL post categories that have these categories checked on in the actual posts themselves. This is perfectly logical and the way it happens by default.

HERE IS WHAT THEY NEED:

Sample post has the following categories checked on:

2021 - SPECIES ( a parent category )
2021 - FRESHWATER ( child of 2021 - SPECIES )
2021 - COLDWATER SPECIES ( child of 2021 - FRESHWATER )
2021 - TROUT, CHAR, AND TAIMEN ( child of 2021 - COLDWATER SPECIES )
2021 - LAKE TROUT ( child of 2021 - TROUT, CHAR, AND TAIMEN )

At the moment, ALL categories show up at the same time when the post named: Yellowstone’s Fall Lake-Run Brown Trout appears
in the results window to the right. Again, standard stuff here.

*** Client wants ONLY the first PARENT category ( all parent categories should show not clicked ) to show up on initial view and then when user clicks on any one PARENT, then and ONLY then does the FIRST CHILD category appear, after which they can click on the newly appearing CHILD ( click the checkbox ) to reveal the NEXT CHILD category and so on ...

It would work like a traditional cascading WordPress menu with sub-menus.

The reason they want this cascading or ACCORDIAN menu approach is to keep the selectins more simplified for the end user.

Hope this makes sense but here it is in a visual sense:

1) on initial load they would see:

2) after clicking on this first parent they would see:
2021 - FRESHWATER ( first child of above parent )

3) after clicking on this first child they would see:
2021 - COLDWATER SPECIES ( second child of above parent )

4) after clicking on this second child they would see:
2021 - TROUT, CHAR, AND TAIMEN ( child of 2021 - COLDWATER SPECIES ) ( third child of above parent )

5) after clicking on this third child they would see:
2021 - TROUT, CHAR, AND TAIMEN ( third child of above parent )
2021 - LAKE TROUT ( fourth child of above parent )

Thanks, in advance, for your great support.

Woody

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

Hi Woody

Unfortunately there is limited scope for modifying how the filters are rendered and function, and currently what you want isn't possible. We do have an internal ticket about making it easier to customise filters, but it's slated for some time in the future, and without it I can't offer a solution that matches what you describe.

What does occur to me which your clients may consider is to work with the taxonomy archives such that when you visit a top-level term at the top of the page you see a series of links to the next level terms in the hierarchy, clicking on those takes you to that term archive where—if there are more child terms in the hierarchy—you see the next level of terms, continuing until you have drilled down through the whole hierarchy of terms.

Below this term navigation the matching posts appear.

We could guide you on implementing that if it was an acceptable alternative, but as for the original request you may have to look for another solution if that is what's required.

The topic ‘[Closed] Category or Taxonomy Parametric Search Functionality …’ is closed to new replies.