Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Category filter in blog archive page

This support ticket is created 4 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Beda 4 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

I've been out sick and meanwhile my ticket was closed, this is continuing this ticket: https://toolset.com/forums/topic/category-filter-not-showing-on-blog-archive-page/

I've given the login information, so you can check it out.

You mention a duplicate, I've tried before to create a copy of the site, but it's too big, and I'm not sure which files to deselect in duplicator. You're welcome to create the duplicate - if you need it, as you know which files you wont need.

Thank you again
Lykke

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi Lykke

I looked at your site, and I can see that the categories are not being included in the filter on the blog archive, but I can't see why.

I need to do some basic testing, and I'm taking a copy of your site now so that I can install it locally to do that.

I'll keep you posted.

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Lykke

I found that the problem arises because of the Popup Maker plugin.

We need to do some more testing to determine actually what triggers the problem, and I've passed a copy of your site to my colleagues to continue investigating.

I'll let you know what they find.

Nigel
Supporter

My colleague found that if he trashed all of the popups you have, then restored them, then edited and re-saved them, it fixed the issue (on the copy of your site).

Could you try that on your own site to see if you find the same.

Note also that in the Search and Pagination section of your View "soegefunktion" you have a missing closing span tag:

<span class="vaelgte-filtre">[wpv-search-term param="wpv-tema"]

It looks like that span isn't closed and it can affect the subsequent markup.

Hi I'm sorry it took so long to test this out.

I've tried, and yes, once all popup maker overlays are deactivated, it works as intended.
But unfortunately it stops working, once I activate them again.
I've tested if it was a specific overlay, but I have to deactivate all of them before it works. So I'm thinking it's not compatible? I just never had problems with popup maker and Toolset together.

I've solved the problem with unclosed tag(s), - thank you 🙂

Best regards,
Lykke

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Lykke

Can you confirm that you edited and re-saved the pop-ups?

In particular my colleague identified these as the problem pop-ups:

Søgeform >800<1100 AND Søgeform >400<800 AND Søgeform >1100<1400 AND Søgeform PopUp

After editing and re-saving, on the copy of your site it seemed to resolve the problem.

I'm not sure from your comment if you did that.

You're right I didn't update them, but I have now, trashed them again, recreated and resaved. Unfortunately, still not showing.
Best regards,
Lykke

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Lykke

I'm re-reading the steps my colleague proposed, and he (admitting that he's not sure exactly which steps were required) also when editing the pop-ups removed the View from them, saved them, added the View back, and saved again.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but could you try that, too.

And if that doesn't work I'll go back to him and ask him to re-install the copy of your site which has the problem and try again to identify the exact issue.

Hi Nigel 🙂

I was hopeful there for a second, but no, unfortunately it didn't help.

Regards,
Lykke

Nigel
Supporter

OK, I'll ask Beda to look again, it may be more direct if I assign the ticket to him.

Can I ask, first, though, do you have or can you prepare a staging site that he can work on rather than a local copy of your site?

I'll set a private reply in case you do that you can share details of.

I only have one locally, I could set one up, but I can't create a duplicator package, I don't know which files to select or deselect, it gets too large if I copy the full site.

Regards,
Lykke

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Lykke

I already took a copy of your site which my colleague was working on locally and he wanted to test on your server.

Is it okay if he does so on the live site? (He could add a maintenance plugin for the duration of the tests if you like.)

I'm going to re-assign this to Beda so that he can communicate with you directly. (He works Saturday, so if it is okay to test on your live site he can do then.)

Hi Lykke, this is Beda, I had analyzed the problem Nigel and you are trying to resolve here, and on my local install the following where my steps, which lead to a resolution of the issue:

1. Only trashing ALL popups existing on the site, did solve the issue.

2. Hence, restoring and re-deleting single popup posts, I found it’s not just one form, but several:
- Søgeform >800<1100
- Søgeform >400<800
- Søgeform >1100<1400
- Søgeform PopUp

Only id all of those are trashed (and all remaining others still in action) the issue was resolved.

==> Can you confirm this on your site?

3. When I re-SAVED (so that means, after restoring from trash, I edited those, saved, removed my random edit and saved again) all those popups it started working.

4. During the process, I also determined a missing "span" closing tag in the View that is inserted on those problematic popups. Missing closing HTML can break a lot of unexpected things subsequently on a page, and I just fixed that on the fly, so I cannot state it's an influence on the "fix", however, it's a crucial adjustment to make.

That's in your-site.tld/wp-admin/admin.php?page=views-editor&view_id=14286

<span class="vaelgte-filtre">[wpv-search-term param="wpv-tema"]
       </div>

---

Now, I see Nigel passed this information along and you followed the steps, however not with the expected results.
I've checked (just observing) directly on the live site for which you provided access in your opening post.

I see there are a few things to be done before we could, however, try to resolve the issue there directly:

1. Updating all software, or disable the ones that for some reason cannot be updated (Important here is especially the Toolset part)
2. I wanted to analyze the popups on your site (backend edit area) but somehow, I cannot spot the same popups as I had locally, I got these:
hidden link
Locally I had the popups mentioned above, but with the link on your site, I get different popups.

Now, finalizing, the very best here would be to set up an online staging site.
For Duplicator, you can omit everything that is in the uploads folder, it will narrow the size down dramatically. You can also exclude every zip, video, image etc filetype. We don't need those, for replicating the issue you basically only need the WordPress install, with the Plugins you use, and the Database.

In Duplicator you can make those choices at the begin of setting up a package.
I can help you with this if you want.

You'd have to install the plugin "Duplicator" - also see these instructions https://toolset.com/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/, and then install that on an online testing instance (which I'd personally keep - for future debug and update testes).

I can then log in to that testing site - and according to the links to the pop-ups make the tests there, see what was missing and update you with a solution (or, if there is no solution, I'll proceed with further tests until the issue is determined)

I have activated a private reply area, which you can use for eventual access details to a staging site

I'm online today for the next 6 hours approx, but then only Tuesday again, please find my schedules here:
https://toolset.com/forums/users/beda-s/

Thank you, and looking forward to solve this one 🙂

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.