Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Can’t update plugins – ‘Invalid site key for the current site’.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I'm having trouble updating plugins because my site key doesn't work.

Solution: We are investigating a problem with registration and site keys in Types 2.2.23. The best solution is to update to Types 3.3.1 manually by downloading the new version from your account page.

0% of people find this useful.

This support ticket is created 4 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 15 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by mikes-12 4 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

I am trying to: Update plugins

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: You can't see the issue unless you login and try and update the plugins.

I expected to see: An update for hidden link

Instead, I got: "Invalid site key for the current site." Website is already registered, copying and pasting in key gives error.

Hi, we're noticing several clients who were using Types 2.2.23 are having trouble with their site registration keys, and the error message is misleading. Our developers are looking into the problem right now, but the fastest solution appears to be a manual update of the Types plugin. You can go to https://toolset.com/account/downloads to download the latest version, Types 3.3.1. Then log in to your site's wp-admin area and go to Plugins > Installed Plugins. Deactivate and delete Types 2.2.23, then reinstall Types 3.3.1 using the zip file you downloaded. This will not delete your Types data, it will be maintained in the database. Once you have activated Types 3.3.1, your site registration key should begin working again. Sorry for the inconvenience.

It hasn't worked. I've replaced Types but the plugins are still listed as requiring an update:

"You must have a valid subscription in order to get upgrades or support for this plugin. Purchase a subscription or enter an existing site key" - so I can't update them. Yet when I click the register button, it takes me to my WordPress Toolset page, which tells me:

"Toolset is registered on this site. Your Lifetime account gives you updates for life. "

This is a mess.

Ok, just checked the files via FTP and it seems the other plugins have been updated - but they're still listed in WordPress as requiring an update, and I still get the "You must have a valid subscription in order to get upgrades or support for this plugin. Purchase a subscription or enter an existing site key" message. I've tested this on a different site to the one listed above.

May I log in to your wp-admin area and take a look? It might be faster so we can get this cleaned up. I won't make any updates yet. Please provide login credentials in the private reply fields here.

My host has some pretty strict security - if you're blocked from the admin, please let me have your IP and I'll get it unblocked.

Thanks Christian, I've passed this on to my host, may take a short while for them to act on this so give it 30 minutes or so.

Thank you

You should have access now.

Okay I registered Toolset with a new key I generated, and now the Toolset plugins are showing up as registered at least, so updates should be working. Is it okay for me to go ahead and update all the Toolset plugins? I would like to delete the old Types version first because you seem to have both installed now, and that's causing some problems. Once everything is updated, we can try registering again using your own key. Let me know if you approve and I will get started.

Yes please, I've got a back up of the website so I can reinstate that if there's any issues.

Thanks,
Mike

Okay your Toolset plugins have been updated and I have unregistered the site key I generated. Please try to register once again using the existing site key. If that does not work, please generate one more new key and try that key. Hopefully that won't be necessary though. Let me know the results.

Yes the existing site key seems to work, and it's listed as registered now.

Thanks for your help - what was the issue? I have another website - stayinshropshire.co.uk - that has the same problem. If you could talk me through it then I can try and fix it.

Okay great, sorry for the big hassle here. The main issue here is that Types 2.2.23 has some installer issues and WPML offers another outdated version of Types that conflicts with 2.2.23, and a "lite" version of Views that may be part of the problem too. The best way to get past this is to delete any old versions of Types and Views from your site, and then manually install Types 3.3.1 using a zip file downloaded from toolset.com. Then go to /wp-admin/update-core.php and click "Check again". This triggers a silent update of the errant Types installer files, which may have been cached. After the update check ( you don't have to actually update WordPress, just run the checker ), go to Plugins > Add new > Commercial tab. Click "Check for updates" above WPML, then try to register Toolset again. At this point, my registration key worked and I was able to use the automatic updater to update all the other Toolset plugins. However, if your registration key does not work go back to /wp-admin/update-core.php and try running the checker again, then try registering again. If this process does not work for you, I can try again generating a temporary key for you. I'll need login information to handle that.

I went to the Commercial tab and clicked "Check for Updates" in the Toolset panel, and it looks like the registration warning is fixed. Can you confirm?

Yes that looks fine, strange as they were all listed as unregistered earlier.

Anyway, fixed now, thanks again for your help.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.