Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Cannot find the content template

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mateus Getulio 1 year ago.

Assisted by: Mateus Getulio.

Author
Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 12.30.37 PM.png

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have 15 content templates created. After I installed the WPML, I can't see them and can't edit them.

I tried both
hidden link and
hidden link

but both can't view the content templates.

Best regards,

Kelvin.

Mateus Getulio
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello Kelvin,

Thanks for your contact, and welcome to our support forum!

As a quick test, could you please try to remove the WPML plugin and reinstall it? Also, make sure that all Toolset and WPML plugins are updated in your end. You can check the latest versions in the Plugins -> Add New -> Commercial tab, by clicking on the 'Check for updates' button.

If after these tests the issue persists, we might be facing an interaction issue with a third-party functionality, in this case:

- Deactivate all the plugins that are not related to WPML
- Switch for a moment to a WordPress default theme like Twenty Twenty-one
- If the issue is gone, activate one by one to see with which one there is an interaction issue

Could you please tell me the results of this investigation? Also, can you enable the debug mode? Just add the following code in your wp-config.php file:

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

// Disable display of errors and warnings 
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );
@ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

// Use dev versions of core JS and CSS files (only needed if you are modifying these core files)
define( 'SCRIPT_DEBUG', true );

Please check the following links to read more about debugging with WordPress.
- https://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_in_WordPress
- https://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_in_WordPress#Example_wp-config.php_for_Debugging

After adding the code above, try to reproduce the issue again and check if you'll find a debug.log file inside the wp-content folder. If you locate it there, kindly send us the last lines here in the ticket.

Regards,
Mateus.

Dear Mateus,

I tried to deactivate all plugins excluding Toolset and WPML, no luck until I deactivated WPML Multilingual CMS

Mateus Getulio
Supporter

Hi Kelvin,

Thanks for your reply.

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://toolset.com/privacy-policy-and-gdpr-compliance/#data-shared-with-our-support
**IMPORTANT**

- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this: hidden link

Please, let me know if you need any additional details. Have a nice day.

Mateus Getulio
Supporter

Hello there,

Thanks for providing the website credentials.

Just a quick update for you, we're already checking the issue and as soon as possible we'll provide you with updates. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Regards,
Mateus.

Mateus Getulio
Supporter

Hello again,

I have double-checked the problem, but so far I haven't been able to find a fix. I asked my colleagues to take a look to see if there's anything I'm missing.

I'll come back here as soon as one of them answers me (which shouldn't take long). Thank you in advance for your patience!

Regards,
Mateus.

For your more information, if I create new content template, it shows, all disappear items were created before I implemented the WPML I think.

Screenshot 2023-03-28 at 7.59.38 PM.png

Dear Mateus Getulio,

I have just log into the staging site and see all content templates, please advise what your colleague did and fixed it. I need the steps to do on my production site.

Mateus Getulio
Supporter

Hello Kelvin,

Thanks for your replies.

As you have checked, we found a solution for the issue. What happened is that in a multilingual environment when editing Content Templates there is no language switcher in the admin toolbar and they are always listed in the default language. (You can translate them, though.)

In your site the default language is Chinese, but 16 of 17 templates were identified as English by WPML in the icl_translations table of the database. They must have been created when English was the default language on the site, which perhaps was later changed? So listing Content Templates only showed one (the one that was identified as Chinese).

We edited the entries in icl_translations to change the language of the 16 missing templates to Chinese, and now they show in the admin pages. To apply this fix in the original website:

- Backup your website and database
- Get access to your database and find the icl_translations table (make sure you enter the correct one, because it seems that you have two prefixes tables in your db (wbtzn and wpstg2 prefixes), so if the first one does not work, please try the next)
- Search for the entries 'post_view-template' in the 'element_type' column
- Change the 'language_code' info for the ones having 'en' (it should be 'zh-hant')

After this the templates should display fine. Please give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Thank you!

Dear Mateus Getulio,

Many thanks for your support, after I change the language_code from en to zh-hant, all content templates show up.

I tried to visit the content template by adding parameter lang=en like hidden link..../wp-admin/admin.php?page=view-templates&lang=en but not work, is it a bug if I create the content template before I install the WPML? Should it be fixed by WPML or Toolset? Will it be fixed by Toolset or WPML?

By the way, is it must to have content template to different language?

Mateus Getulio
Supporter

Hello Kelvin,

Glad to hear that you were able to solve the issue.

About accessing the English version of the content templates, you need to translate them from Chinese to English first, by going to WPML -> Translation Management and send the templates to translation.

Now, regarding:

is it a bug if I create the content template before I install the WPML? Should it be fixed by WPML or Toolset? Will it be fixed by Toolset or WPML?

We had some previous cases of this issue in the past, but since they're few and we do not know the exact step-by-step in order to reproduce it, we can't debug it further and provide a solution.

I hope that everything is solved and clear now. Please let us know.

Thank you,
Mateus.

FYI, we usually build a website in a single language. In Hong Kong, most the customer prefer to have Traditional Chinese as their primary language, and we build the website without WPML at first; we build the content in Traditional Chinese, and then we install the WPML and select the primary language as Traditional Chinese; we start to translate the content in English. I don't know whether the content template by default is assigned in English, and we place the content in Traditional Chinese without the WPML, when we install the WPML, then it will cause the issue. I hope this can help you to debug and provide a solution.

Mateus Getulio
Supporter

Hello there,

Thanks for your reply.

We have tested in a clean Sandbox install this behavior (create content template in Chinese first -> install WPML), but so far the CT weren't assigned to English.

I'll share with you in my next private reply the automatic login link to the Sandbox, in case you want to check and make some tests.

Please keep us posted. Thank you!

Sorry I missed the message, the sandbox is expired.

Mateus Getulio
Supporter

Hi there,

I have updated the link with a fresh Sandbox. May I kindly ask you to try to replicate the same behavior there? Just do the same steps that you're doing in the website.

Thank you,
Mateus.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.