Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Can you share repeatable field groups with other Post Field groups?

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Is it possible to share a repeatable field group (RFG) so that it can be used in multiple post types?

Solution: No, RFGs are implemented in a way that makes them impossible to use in more than one post type from a technical perspective.

This support ticket is created 3 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by StanleyT8485 3 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I want to use a repeatable field group from another Post Field group but I can't find it when I searched for it while creating this new Post Field group. I can only find the custom fields within that repeatable field group.

Ideally, I don't want to create another RFG and another View to accomplish the same function I already have.

If I can't use a RFG from another Post Field group, what is the best way to go about this?

Hi, because of how repeatable field groups (RFGs) are implemented from a technical perspective, it's not possible to use them in more than one post type or field group. There's no way to force that type of unsupported association programmatically. I think if it is very important to be able to reuse the View and fields, you could create one custom post type that acts as a container for the RFG. Keep the other less reusable fields, taxonomies, and relationships in separate post types. Then you could use many-to-many post relationships to connect the RFG container post type to your other more specific post types. I'd have to know more about your project to be able to give you more concrete advice about what is the best way to achieve your end goals, and what is the most practical solution. Let me know if you'd like to continue that investigation, or if it's more practical to just recreate fields and views.

I think I`ll just recreate the fields for now. I don't see us using multiple similar RFGs.

Stan

I'm thinking to add 3-4 RFGs using unique Views for each RFG across 1000-2000 of our existing pages.

Just wondering from a technical perspective, will this cause issues with loading and speed of the site?

Stan

Adding a few RFGs and a few dedicated Views will not necessarily impact the site performance in a major negative way, but it really depends on the RFG complexity, each View's query complexity, levels of RFG nesting, custom size images in a loop, taxonomy term queries in a loop, and other factors. For example, if the RFG has 10 nested levels of RFGs in its hierarchy and thousands of rows of data nested inside thousands of rows of data and so on, a View to show the full RFG hierarchy is likely to be slow and resource-intensive. I usually recommend using one of the named file sizes instead of a custom pixel-based size whenever you place an image in a loop, otherwise a custom pixel image size will require a considerable amount of

If you notice page load times are creeping up as your site content grows, you can look into a 3rd-party caching plugin to help on those heavy pages. A good caching plugin will create static HTML versions of each post automatically, which will help minimize the page load times and strain on the server.

Thanks Chris! My RFGS are very simple with no nesting - just a title and description field (and maybe an image).

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.