Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Can I use toolset to submit items to appear on 3 different pages?

This support ticket is created 4 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 4 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

I have a page that my client can submit her puppies for sale. However, she'd like to use it to submit 3 different breeds to keep them on their own separate page. Can this be done and how can we do it?

menu.jpg

Below is a picture of what I mean.

OK I've found some info that might work. I am attaching that image from a supporter here. I've cloned the POST FORM as mentioned and created a new page for the first dog breed for sale. But that is far as I got. When I edit that Post where do I direct it to go to the new page I created?

I suggest you try these:
1) Dashboard-> Toolset-> Post forms
find the form you want to duplicate, move mouse on it, you will see a "Clone" link, use it you can duplicate more post forms, then edit each form as what you want: change the form title and form fields. see screenshot: clone.JPG
2) Create different page for each form
- Yorkies for Sale
- Bulldogs for Sale
- Maltese For Sale
- Designer Dogs for Sale.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi Lisa

How are you structuring your data?

Do you have one post type for puppies? And then the breed is a taxonomy, with terms Yorkies, Bulldogs, Maltese etc.?

I expect that you would only have one form to submit a puppy for sale, which includes the taxonomy field where the person would set the breed.

If that were the case then you would automatically have pages for each breed of dog for sale, namely the taxonomy archives, e.g. site.com/breed/yorkie, site.com/breed/bulldog etc.

Or you could create static pages such as "Yorkies for sale" and add a View to display them. Instead of making copies of that View for every breed you would make one View that includes a Query Filter for the breed, set by a shortcode attribute, and then on each page where you insert the View you would add an attribute to the wpv-view shortcode that specified the breed, so that you can re-use the same View. You can read more about that here: https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/passing-arguments-to-views/

Does that help?

Right now we have one page for the views for all the dogs. So if I want to have separate page views depending on
each breed then can I just have the static pages for each breed? If so, do I create each page such as
Yorkies For Sale, Maltese For Sale, and Cotons for Sale instead of the way it is now just Puppies For Sale.
I have a shortcode for that page.
So once I create the other pages, how to I know what short code to use and what will make the post go to the correct page?
Is there a choice to choose from where the client decides which breed they want to list?
I need this to be simplified, since I'm not too sure how to do this.
thanks so much. Just so excited that this might be what I want!!
Can I send you a private message so you can login to my site to see?

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Lisa

I'm kind of repeating myself, but...

- You create one custom post type for "dogs" (i.e. the dogs for sale)
- You create a custom taxonomy "breed" with terms such as Yorkie, Maltese, Coton etc.
- You create a form where users can publish "dog" posts which includes a field for the taxonomy where users can choose the breed from a dropdown
- You decide how you want to display dogs of particular breeds for sale.

The options would be:

1. create a general "dogs for sale" page which includes a filter for the breed of dog so that the user selects the breed they are looking for, or
2. use the taxonomy archives which are automatically generated by WordPress anyway, e.g. site.com/breed/yorkie/ will list all Yorkies for sale. You don't need to manually create any pages, they are generated automatically, and if new breeds are added to the taxonomy, the new pages will also be added automatically, or
3. manually publish a static page, one for every breed. Create a View to display dog posts. Add a Query Filter to help specify which dogs should be displayed. In this case, the value for the breed filter should come from a shortcode attribute, which you can call whatever you like, but let's say it's called "breed". Then on every static page you created you insert the View to display dogs, and you add a breed attribute. So on the Yorkies for sale page where you insert the View you would insert it like

[wpv-view name="My dog View" breed="yorkie"]

And you would do something similar for every other static page for the breed.

As I'm sure you'll appreciate, it would be rather easier to use option 2.

As for where you redirect to when the form to publish a dog for sale post is submitted, there are no dynamic options—you must chose from a predetermined page, or display a message—except for the most common use case which would seem to make sense in this scenario, namely to redirect to the post that was just published.

It would be easy enough to include a link to the archive for all dogs for sale of the same breed in the template for single dog posts, meaning it required just one click to get to the list of dogs of that breed for sale.

I'm currently trying to get this working like you suggested. So I want to leave my ticket open for help if needed please.

Nigel
Supporter

No problem, I'll just leave it as awaiting feedback from you.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.