Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Can a Woocommerce product have a child type?

The Toolset Community Forum is closed, for technical support questions, please head on to our Toolset Professional Support (for paid clients), with any pre-sale or admin question please contact us here.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
Can any Post Type have a Parent / Child relationship set with Types Plugin?
If so, how can you choose a Child from within the Parent Post Type?

Solution:
Yes, with Types you can set Parent / Child relationships to any Post Type, also 3rd Party Post Types, as long they are public and coded with Wordpress standards except for Media native post type.

No, you can not choose the Child Post for the Parent, when you edit the Parent.
You can only add New Child Posts from the Parent Edit screen and choose a Parent for the Child when in the Child Edit screen.

Relevant Documentation:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/creating-post-type-relationships/

100% of people find this useful.

This support ticket is created 8 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.
This is the community support forum for Types plugin, which is part of Toolset. Toolset is a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients and people who registered for Types community support can post in it.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by harryT 8 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author
Inspire2.png

I am trying to: Create a WooCommerce product for a class (lesson). I have a Type created called Instructors. I want to be able to select from my list of Instructors when setting up a class. I tried making Instructors a child of Products, but there's only an option to "Add new Instructor." (see attached image). Clicking the link brings up all of the fields I've created for the Type, which does me no good.

Ideally, I'd like the list of Instructors to appear as a dropdown or checkbox list in the sidebar, like a Taxonomy. Is that possible?

No, it's not possible to choose a Child Post from within a Parent Post.
That's not a issue with Products, but with how the design is structured in Types.

A Child Post will not appear as a "List to Choose from" when you edit the parent Post.

You can only create new Posts (Child Type) from whit-in the very Parent Post Edit Screen.

You can choose a parent when you edit the Child
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/creating-post-type-relationships/

Additionally you can not use Repeating Fields in a Child Post Type.
That's because if you do, and save a parent Post, all Child Post Repeating Field instances will be deleted.

To have Repeating Field Groups as Child Posts you need to follow up with this approach:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/creating-groups-of-repeating-fields-using-fields-tables/

If you want to be able to "Select" a given Post Type you need to do that from within a Child Post Type.

OR, you could use as example a Select Custom Field which is populated with values that correspond to your Posts so to connect them later.

Please do not hesitate to open a new thread if other issues or problems arise

Thank you for your patience.

Thank you.

The forum ‘Types Community Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.