Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Bootstrap menus

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I am using the Toolset Starter theme and I would like to customize the menus to look like an existing site.

Solution: If you have a specific design in mind, or a theme you want to emulate, I would not use Toolset Starter theme. Its markup, stylesheets and features may actually cause more problems than it solves.

This support ticket is created 5 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Griffin 5 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

I am trying to: make the menus look like this: hidden link

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see:

Instead, I got: ul that has dividers etc.

I can't figure out using layouts how to make these menus work. It should be default, but there are so many classes it's confusing and there is no tutorial I have found. All your example sites use 3rd party themes.

I can't figure out using layouts how to make these menus work. It should be default
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "it should be default". The original site's menu is completely different from the Toolset Starter theme's menu, and they cannot be expected to be interchangeable without considerable adjustment. There are quite a few challenges to overcome here, and I'm not sure you're going to be able to achieve an exact likeness of the original in Toolset Starter theme without a significant amount of custom code. The menu markup structures are different. The class names are different. The interactions are different. The stylesheets are different. This means performing some serious changes to theme styles and/or template files, way beyond the scope of support we provide here in the forums.

Can you explain the reason you would like to use Toolset Starter? It seems like you want to emulate the design of the original theme. In that case, Toolset Starter might be adding unnecessary complications.

The theme (and website) was written by a defunct company that had many developers that never talked to each other. It's a complete mess and has very many issues with both types and wpml.

That said, I don't really care about the css names. They can change. As it is, there is no real documentation or sample sites using toolset-starter.

I don't care about toolset-starter, but assumed that was the default that toolset supports. As I said, the original website, is a mess, it takes a horrible amount of time to load due to all the bad code etc.

I think that toolset-starter should work since they are both based on bootstrap 3. If I'm wrong, let me know. I guess I could create a theme that is wpml and toolset compatible as well, but there is nothing commercially that would save me any time that I can see.

I see, thanks. I think Toolset Starter is more geared towards Users who want to start up a basic site quickly, who don't necessarily have a design in mind. I don't think Toolset Starter theme is the best approach for an existing theme rewrite, because you'll be constantly fighting the markup and stylesheets written into the theme. Any theme that uses the_content() to render the main contents of each post is going to be mostly compatible with Toolset's templating system.

I think if I were going to try this rewrite, I would create a custom theme with the main site header, navigation, and footer in the theme files. Use the_content() in your template PHP files to render the main post content, allowing Toolset's Content Templates or Toolset Layouts to design the main content area of each post.

the original website, is a mess, it takes a horrible amount of time to load due to all the bad code
I just ran some tests on webpagetest, and the pages I tested are performing pretty well with very low time-to-first-byte and reasonable time-to-first paint. Can you show me a URL that you consider slow, so I can take a look? I would like to see if the problem is something that Toolset can help improve.
hidden link
hidden link
hidden link

Thanks Christian,

I appreciate the help. No problem with the theme. I'm not wedded to it, so I'll start a custom theme.

There is a lot of toolset stuff already in it from when I took over and they needed custom posts so I'll figure it all out.

Jon

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.