Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Block Editor doesn't open in View

This support ticket is created 3 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 14 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 3 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author
bc36bf4922654ab4041bc9d0fb3b8d52.png
download (24).png

Hi,

I can't open block editor to edit the template for my view. The page just hung on loading.

Please advise.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for getting in touch.

What I recommend that you do is to temporarily disable all the non-toolset plugins and then check again to see if the issue remains.

Once you have done this please let me know the results.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

I have disabled all the non-toolset plugin and change the theme to a WP default theme. I am still experiencing the same issue.

Please advise.

Shane
Supporter

Hello,

Thanks for running this basic debug step for me.

Would you mind providing me with admin access to the website so that I can have a look ?

The private fields will be enabled for your next response. Also let me know which view the issue is on.

Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

Hello,

In my further checks on this I found that the issue is actually at this section here.

<!-- wp:toolset-blocks/container {"style":{"background":{"type":"solid","solid":{"color":{}},"gradient":{"colors":[{"rgb":{"r":0,"g":0,"b":0,"a":1}},{"rgb":{"r":255,"g":255,"b":255,"a":1}}],"type":"linear"},"image":{"horizontal":{},"vertical":{}}},"padding":{"enabled":true,"paddingTop":"5%","paddingLeft":"5%","paddingRight":"5%","paddingBottom":"5%"},"cssClasses":["inner-content"],"display":true}} -->
<div class="wp-block-toolset-blocks-container tb-container inner-content" data-toolset-blocks-container="1"><!-- wp:toolset-blocks/field {"style":{"fontSize":16,"fontWeight":"bold","textColor":{"r":6,"g":147,"b":227,"a":1},"cssClasses":["owl-title"],"display":true},"customField":{"label":"Header","value":"header","categories":["text","embed"],"type":"textfield","fieldOptions":null,"is_repetitive":false},"fieldType":"standard","postProvider":{"value":"__current_post","label":"Current post"},"toolsetField":{"label":"Header","value":"header","categories":["text","embed"],"type":"textfield","fieldOptions":null,"is_repetitive":false},"toolsetFieldGroup":"toolset_custom_field|header","toolsetShortcode":"[types field='header'][/types]"} -->
<div class="tb-field owl-title" data-toolset-blocks-field="1">[types field='header'][/types]</div>
<!-- /wp:toolset-blocks/field --><!-- wp:toolset-blocks/field {"style":{"textColor":{"r":75,"g":75,"b":75,"a":1},"cssClasses":["owl-excerpt"],"display":true},"modifiedContent":{"content":"Increasing the Availability of VMware Virtual Machines Is about "And" Instead of "Or"","shortcodeAttributes":{"length":20,"maxLength":20,"countBy":"word","renderEllipsis":true,"ellipsisText":"..."}},"fieldType":"fields","postField":{"label":"Post Excerpt","value":"post-excerpt","group":"post","categories":["text"],"fields":[]},"postProvider":{"value":"__current_post","label":"Current post"}} -->
<div class="tb-field owl-excerpt" data-toolset-blocks-field="1">[tb-dynamic provider="__current_post" post="current" source="post-excerpt" force-string='first' length="20" countBy="word" renderEllipsis="true" ellipsisText="..."]</div>
<!-- /wp:toolset-blocks/field --></div>
<!-- /wp:toolset-blocks/container -->

Once I removed this section from your template it started to work. So you can go ahead and remove this section and then try remaking it as closely as possible and see if the problem persists.

Thanks,
Shane

correct.png
incorrect.png

Hi Shane,

I believe this is a bug.

So I've deleted that section and was able to load the editor.

It is basically a container with 2 single fields nested inside it.

For some reason, in the single field, the current page source is restricted to a specific post type. It should say "correct post" vs "current case study"

I was able to save but it gives me this result: Updating failed. The response is not a valid JSON response.

I've tried to open it again but I can't duplicate the result or open the block editor. So I've deleted all the code but I am unable to use the block editor. It takes too long to load and gives me a 502 error.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi there

Shane is off for a couple of days, so I'll look into this.

I've just downloaded a copy of the site to install locally to be able to debug it more easily, and I'll get back to you when I've done that. (I'm doing the same with another ticket of Shane's that is very similar.)

Nigel
Supporter

I have the site installed but I can't see from the above thread which View I'm supposed to be looking at, you don't mention which View shows the error.

Hi Nigel,

I appreciate you taking over.

The view is Related Assets (Below Single Asset) and Featured Assets (Home).

Nigel
Supporter

Thanks. I can see the problem, getting PHP timeout errors when trying to edit those templates.

I've done quite a bit of debugging on it myself, but I need the developers to take a closer look, so I've escalated this to them and I'll report back when I have something from them.

Meanwhile, I found that if I downgraded Blocks to 1.2.2 I was able to edit the templates, that may be an option for you temporarily.

Hi Nigel,

Thank you for escalating this.

How do I find the previous version of the plugin to download?

Thanks!

Nigel
Supporter

From your downloads page: toolset.com/account/downloads

You'll need to remove the previous version before you can upload that zip file on your Add new plugins page.

Nigel
Supporter

The developers produced a temporary patch to fix the problem with the current version of the plugin, but its not a permanent fix, they still need to work on that.

We will soon be releasing an update for Blocks, but its not clear if the permanent fix will be ready in time for it, and if not a different patch would need to be prepared and applied.

If you've already reverted to the previous version of Blocks as discussed above, I suggest we wait for the plugin update—which may include a permanent fix—and if not then you can update and apply a new patch until the permanent fix is included.

Does that sound okay?

Hi Nigel,

That would be great. I really appreciate all your help and support!

I'll wait for the next patch since I do not need to edit the template at the moment.

Thank you!

Nigel
Supporter

Just a quick update to let you know that the update containing the fix is now available, you don't need to worry about patches.

After updating please check the issue and if you still see any problems, let me know.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.