Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Assigned Layout lost upon Publishing user-submitted content

This support ticket is created 6 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by webD-3 6 years ago.

Author

We have two public-submitted forms on this new website that are set to assign a specific Layout. "Events" is via The Events Calendar and "Jobs" is using CRED. Both forms, upon submission from non-logged-in members of the public, are saved to WordPress with a "Pending" status, allowing the site owner to review prior to publishing.

Throughout my development/testing things worked as expected. Events submissions received a "Single Event" layout and Job Postings received a "Single Job Listing Layout" layout.

Now that the site is live, I am getting inconsistent results. When the site owner reviews the submission the template is assigned, but when she clicks Publish that assignment is lost. I went to her office this morning to personally observe this happening. However, I cannot replicate the issue from my office, even when logged in with her WordPress account.

This may not be enough information...please let me know what additional information might be helpful in coming up with a solution. In the meantime I am having the site owner manually apply the Layout but I'd like to streamline this if possible.

Well, if this is not replicable from any other ISP but the "office's" one, it's pretty clear that this is a problem where the internet connection either is unstable, something is wrong with the connection, or else.

Basically, if you are able to do what you need to do on that site, with success, using the same user, then the issue is specific to the terminal used (computer, it's connection to the network, etc).

There is logically no other things that could possibly cause such an issue.

I am glad to test for you if I can replicate the issue with a user you could submit to me, on a site where I would be allowed and have detailed instructions as of where to do what.

But I strongly suspect, this is - as you describe it - an issue with the particular terminal used.

Other things that can be done (but I am sure they are not the problem) is updating all Plugins, trying with Toolset only and a Native WordPress Theme, enabling WP Debug to see if any errors are produced:
https://codex.wordpress.org/WP_DEBUG

But I again suspect an issue with the particular machine/terminal used - it sounds impossible but is the only logically deductable explanation.

Thank you for the reply. I was of the same opinion as you but wanted to run it by the experts, in case there was some known issue or solution.

I believe I have "fixed" this by working around the problem. By modifying the user's permissions to remove the 'ddl_assign_layout_to_content' capability, whatever was causing the template assignment to be lost now cannot happen in the first place. This has been tested and looks to be working.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.