Skip Navigation

[Resolved] assi

This support ticket is created 7 years, 9 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Author

I am trying to create a directory site. The plan is to initially import all the directory submissions into Types then assign a user to a particular directory item and give them front-end editing access with a CRED form to just that one submission.

For example: This is a directory of 82 schools. I will import all the data for each school into Types via a CSV file and WP All Import plugin. So then I will have 82 unique directory posts - one for each school. I need to then assign a unique user from each school to each of those 82 posts so that each school can edit their own directory post after the initial import and into the future.

Is this possible? How would I do this?

thanks

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi Chris

There are two ways you might go about this.

For both you will need to create the users that are going to be assigned to manage the school listings.

One way is to make the users the authors of the post. If you had a "My school" page then you would display the school for which the author was the logged-in user, which would also display a link to edit the school details. You might want to use a wpv-conditional shortcode (https://toolset.com/documentation/views-shortcodes/#wpv-conditional) to only display the form if the author and logged-in user match to avoid anyone trying to access the form directly from the url bar.

If you use Access then you have fine-grained control of who can publish, edit, and view post types (https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/setting-access-control/) and also individual posts via the post groups tab (https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/limiting-read-access-specific-content/).

If you need me to elaborate or you have any specific implementation questions then please don't hesitate to ask.

Nigel - thank you so much.

One follow up question: Is it possible to import the Author via CSV? Since it's not a custom field, per se, I'm not sure if I could do this?

Really hoping I can so I don't have to manually assign authors to each post!

thanks,
Chris

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Yes, you should be able to import any standard WordPress post field (including post_author) as well as custom fields.

But you will have to have created all of your users first. You can't assign them if they don't exist, although you would have the same problem if you were using a custom field to denote the user managing the school.

thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.