Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Archive post excerpt links aren't working

This support ticket is created 6 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Julia McPherson 6 years, 8 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author
Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 1.57.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 1.57.19 PM.png

I am trying to: Get the links to work in the post excerpts.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: The links within the excerpt (they aren't showing up). First image is the excerpt on the archive. The second image is the actual single post with links in orange.

Instead, I got: No links!

Loop output editor code:
[wpv-layout-start]
[wpv-items-found]
<!-- wpv-loop-start -->
<wpv-loop>
[wpv-post-body view_template="WordPress Archive - loop item"]
</wpv-loop>
<!-- wpv-loop-end -->
[wpv-pager-archive-prev-page force="true"]Previous[/wpv-pager-archive-prev-page]
[wpv-pager-archive-next-page force="true"]Next[/wpv-pager-archive-next-page]
[/wpv-items-found]
[wpv-no-items-found]
[wpml-string context="wpv-views"]No items found[/wpml-string]
[/wpv-no-items-found]
[wpv-layout-end]

Loop ITEM code:
<div id="left-area"><div class="postsection">[wpv-post-featured-image class="fi"]
[wpv-post-link]
<span class="pe">[wpv-post-excerpt length="100" count="word" more="..."]<hr></span></div></div>

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Julia,

Thank you for contacting our support forum.

Would you mind providing me with admin access to the website so that I can have a look ?

The private fields will be enabled for your next response.

Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

Hi Julia,

The link is actually in the title. Is it that you want the link to be on the last few words as well ?

For the pagination you will need to remove it from the theme's archive.php file and then change the location of the pagination in the view. I've done this for you and the pagination should now be at the bottom.

I've also added some css to hide the pagination for divi 🙂

Please let me know regarding the link issue.

Thanks,
Shane

Thank you for helping with the archive pagination. The links that aren't showing up or are being stripped out are in the automatic excerpt.

For instance, the article I posted last week, has links in the copy. On the archive page, the links aren't showing in the copy. Here's the raw article code:

Russ August & Kabat is proud of its partners, <a href="<em><u>hidden link</u></em>" target="_blank">Larry C. Russ</a> and <a href="<em><u>hidden link</u></em>" target="_blank">Nathan D. Meyer</a>, whose article, "Fashion Forward," was published in the September 2017 issue of <em>Los Angeles Lawyer Magazine</em>, the official magazine of the Los Angeles County Bar Association.  In the article, they explain the findings and consequences of the landmark decision in Star Athletica v. Varsity Brands.  In addition, Larry C. Russ and Nathan D. Meyer appear on the magazine cover. <a href="<em><u>hidden link</u></em>">Read the PDF article</a>.

None of the links are appearing in the excerpts on the archive page. I'm not sure if this is a Divi theme issue/conflict or a Toolset issue. I'm new to Toolset.

I also had an issue with the sidebar (since removed) that showed the latest posts with the links not being active on that archive page. If you went into a single article, the links on the latest posts were working, but not on the archive page itself. I ended up removing the sidebar entirely as that feature wasn't working.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Julia,

Actually this is a wordpress issue as excerpt fields are meant for plain text meaning that any HTML will get stripped out.

What you can do as a substitute is to create a WYSIWYG field in Types and then use that as your excerpt field, this way you can add your HTML information.

Thanks,
Shane

That's a brilliant solution, Shane. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.