Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Alternative to query_posts?

The Toolset Community Forum is closed, for technical support questions, please head on to our Toolset Professional Support (for paid clients), with any pre-sale or admin question please contact us here.
This support ticket is created 11 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.
This is the community support forum for Types plugin, which is part of Toolset. Toolset is a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients and people who registered for Types community support can post in it.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bonnie 11 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author

I'm using query_posts quite a bit on my site as it seems to offer the most flexibility when processing the values of custom WP Types fields.

I was wondering if there was any way to make my code more efficient? In the example below I'm using query_posts to pull a list of all posts with a post type of "press" and then sorting them into lists by year of publication date. It feels quite resource-heavy though as the page load time is on the long side.

<section id="press-archive">
    <ul>
    	<?php
    	query_posts('posts_per_page=-1&post_type=press&order=desc&orderby=meta_value_num&meta_key=wpcf-publication-date');
        $current_year = '';
        while ( have_posts() ) : the_post();
        	global $post;
        	$this_year = get_post_meta( $post->ID, 'wpcf-publication-date', true );
        	$this_year = date('Y', $this_year);
        	if (($this_year != $current_year)) :
        		if ($current_year != '')
                    echo '</ul>' . "\n";
        			echo '</li>' . "\n";
        			echo '<li class="year">' . "\n";
        			echo '<h2 class="header">' . $this_year . '</h2>' . "\n";
                    echo '<ul>' . "\n";
        			$current_year = $this_year;
        		endif;
        		echo '<li id="' . $this_year . '">' . "\n";
                ?>
                    <span class="source"><?php echo(types_render_field("source", array())); ?></a> &mdash; <a href="<?php the_permalink() ?>" title="<?php the_title(); ?>"><?php the_title(); ?></a> <span class="publication-date">(<?php echo(types_render_field("publication-date", array("format" => "jS F"))); ?>)</span>
                </li>    		
        <?php
        endwhile;
        if ($current_year != '') echo '</li>' . "\n";
        wp_reset_postdata();
        ?>
    </ul>
</section>

Any help on making this less resource-heavy would be fantastic. Thank you.

Hi bonnieG,

There is only one query_posts in your code, I don't think it will make the problem resource-heavy, maybe there is some other plugin cause this problem. please try deactivate other plugin and switch your theme to wordpress default theme twentytwelve, and test again.

Regards
Luo

Thanks. I posted the same question on http://wordpress.org/support/topic/alternative-to-query_posts and someone pointed me in the direction of WP_Query which seems much more flexible and suitable for my needs as you can use the Types fields in a lot more ways!

It turns out the performance issue was actually down to running the site on localhost as the live site is working fine.

Thank you!

The forum ‘Types Community Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.