Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Add Subtitle to Divi Post Title

This support ticket is created 7 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 -
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by ChuckGregory 7 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Juan.

Author

I am trying to: Display a subtitle when it exists, for assorted post types

I visited this URL: n/a, I'm looking for implementation help

I expected to see:

Instead, I got:

A sample page on our site is here:
hidden link

You may notice it's actually a project, but we plan to use similar layout for posts, projects, pages, sermons, and persons

You will see a nicely formatted Post Title at the top. This is accomplished by inserting a Divi - Post Title into the Layout for Header and Footer, and then doing some styling work in our child theme.

I added a custom post field called Subtitle, and plan to add subtitles as needed. For the project I showed you, we want to change the title to Combined Services and Baptism and put 9/4/16 as the subtitle instead of having the whole thing show up in the title. We want the subtitle to appear just underneath the post title, in the same block, in a smaller font.

There doesn't seem to be any way to add an additional field to the Divi - Post Title block you provide as part of the Divi Integration. Can you help me to accomplish the goal of including our custom Subtitle field in that title block?

Thanks in advance.

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

There is no way to bind custom field with divi post title cell.

But what if you try to use different cell i.e. add content template cell or visual editor cell and add post title shortcode and your custom field shortcode and format it as per your needs.

That kind of defeats the purpose of using the Divi Integration doesn't it? I was starting to think about your method as an alternative, though. Thanks.

Leaving this as 'still need assistance' in the hope that someone in your shop will have an easier way...

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Unfortunately, for now - there is no way available to customize the post title but we can take it as a feature request.

I'll forward this ticket to concern person.

Ok, thanks for that. I'm trying to implement this with a visual editor cell, and I'm having trouble getting it to go full width. Please help...
I have the original divi title above, which looks the way I want, and the new one with subtitle underneath, which I haven't gotten to extend to full width yet.
hidden link

Juan
Supporter

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi there

Ths is Juan, Toolset team leader. Thanks for your feedback.

As you mention in your comment above, using a Layouts native cell for this instead of the Dvi title cell from the Divi integration plugin feels like defeating the purpose of having the integration.

However, extending the Divi title cell provided by the integration by allowing it to do things not supported by Divi itself also seems to defeat the purpose of the integration. If we were to create custom Divi modules, it would be nice to have a module for the title plus whatever you want to put there. But that is not the case: our integration plugin offers support for Divi native elements, and is not meant to extend them.

The Divi title module documentation can be found here:
hidden link
It contains a series of options, none of them allowing you to put a custom field as a subtitle of the page.

I would suggest to ask the Divi theme authors to extend their own module, and then we will gladly update our integration to support whatever changes they include.

On the other hand, Layouts has an API to modify the generated output, but it is a work in progress at the moment and it might demand a developer crafting some code. No GUI options for this.
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/layouts-framework-api/

Hope it helps.

Regards.

You have a point that my request is for an extension of the native element... I may mention this to Elegant Themes at some point.

For now, my immediate need is to make it work, and while I'm quite comfortable with php I think the simplest solution at this time is the one originally suggested by Minesh. Unfortunately as I mentioned in my most recent comment I haven't been able to get the visual editor cell that I added to show up in full width. Would appreciate instructions on that. Thanks.

I resolved this. I haven't used layouts long enough for the row editor to be immediately obvious to me, so I wasn't able to get full width. I duplicated my layout and tried one with a content template instead of the visual editor, and while editing it I accidentally hovered over the row edit button and realized that was what I needed. So it's working now, and probably would have worked with the visual editor version, too.

Really, except for my fumbling around to find that setting, this went pretty smoothly, so it's not bad having to create a custom layout for my application. I thank you for your help and I'm closing the ticket.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.