Skip Navigation

[Closed] Add new custom field (repeating) is not working

This support ticket is created 7 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 7 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

Hi,

My repeating field saves only the first value entered. Everything that's added after clicking Add New button is not saved.

It's only related to CRED form though, because I can add and save values from back-end without problems.

If I add values from back-end, I can see them on front-end form but can't add new ones.

Could you advise please?

Thank you.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi Valeria

I quickly set up a test site to go through the steps and check this was working, and didn't see any problems.

If it works in the back-end I'll take it for granted that you have correctly set up your custom fields group and assigned it to the relevant post type.

From there I created my CRED post form. I auto-generated the form markup and didn't make any changes to it, then added the form to a page and visited the page to test submitting the form. On completion and submission I edited the newly created post in the back-end where I could see the repeated fields.

When filling in your CRED form, it adds the buttons for you to add additional fields, yes?

The problem is that when the form is submitted these extra fields you added are not being saved?

The first step I would check is to re-generate the markup for the CRED form, don't make any edits, and test the form again.

Then we would need to rule out some conflict arising from either your theme or another of your plugins. Try switching to a default theme such as twentysixteen and re-test. Then de-activate all non-Toolset plugins and see if that solves the issue. If so, you can identify which plugin is causing a conflict by re-activating your plugins one-by-one and re-testing each time.

Let me know how you get on so that I can advise you on what to do next.

Hello Nigel,

Yes, the problem is that the additional fields are not being saved.

I regenerated the form, switched to default theme and disabled all additional plugins.

I replicated the issue for you here: hidden link

I can provide the access inside if you'd like to have a look.

Thank you.

I did some tests.

The problem occurs when you open the editing form via generated link, not on a separate page.

In my case, I have a view that lists the users, and open the editing form on the same page with url looking like that: ?cred-edit-user-form=11&user_id=20.

You couldn't see it, because you probably opened the form on a separate page.

Nigel,

I restructured the system so I output the edit form on a separate page which fixes my problem.

But the issue still exists, so it would be nice if you guys fix it in the next releases.

Thank you.

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Valeria

I know you marked this as resolved but I re-opened it so I could follow up on your testing.

Firstly, thanks for updating the thread with your findings.

I set up a new test for user forms to mirror what you describe, creating a view with a list of users and adding an edit link using the shortcode "cred_link_user_form". (I noticed errors in the documentation, so well done for getting that to work.)

I didn't experience any problems with saving the repeating fields when clicking on those links (which add url parameters for cred-edit-user-form and user_id as you described).

That is, I couldn't reproduce the problem.

If you want me to keep investigating please let me know, or if you are happy with the workaround you are using then please go ahead and close the ticket.

Thanks

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

I'm quite happy with the solution I found now, but I'm planning to use Toolset in many other projects and I'm not sure the workaround will be always applicable.

I replicated the issue twice in my installations, so I thought you might want to investigate it on my server and try to figure out what's the problem.

If you'd like to do so, I can provide the server access in the next message. Otherwise I'll close the ticket.

What do you say?

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Valeria

We should try and identify the problem now rather than waiting for it to resurface as a issue later on.

Except the new versions of the Toolset plugins are imminent (if no more issues arise in testing we still hope to publish them this week).

So I suggest you try once more when you have updated to the latest versions of the plugins and see if the problem persists or not. Either way, let me know and I will get your site credentials for further testing if needed.

You don't need to reply to this message, just let me know when you have some concrete news.

The topic ‘[Closed] Add new custom field (repeating) is not working’ is closed to new replies.