Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Add child post by selection

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

The issue here is that the user wanted to know if there is a way to add an existing child post to a Parent.

Solution:

Unfortunately such a functionality is not possible.

Existing posts can only be added to a parent from the child side. In a parent post you are only able to add new children and not select from existing child posts to add to that parent.

A functionality like this would require some custom code to achieve.

This support ticket is created 7 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by kelvinL-2 7 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author
Untitled-3.jpg

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have a child post named "host" which parent post is "program", how can I add the child post by selecting the existing available child post while I edit the program? Please refer to screenshot.

I don't want to allow user can add duplicated child post.

Best regards,

Kelvin.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Kelvin,

Thank you for contacting our support forum.

Unfortunately such a functionality is not possible.

Existing posts can only be added to a parent from the child side. In a parent post you are only able to add new children and not select from existing child posts to add to that parent.

A functionality like this would require some custom code to achieve.

Thanks,
Shane

Dear Shane,

Then how can I associate the existing child post to the parent post? From the child post edit, there is only on parent post can be selected in the Post Relationship.

For my case, the host may be associated to several parent post.

Please advise a possible solution.

Best regards,

Kelvin.

Dear Shane,

Follow to previous message, may I know whether the Types can support n-to-n post relationship?

From the parent post edit, when click the "Add New Host", does it mean it create another child post even I have same content to that? In that case, I will have many duplicated child post. How can I solve it.

Best regards,

Kelvin.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Kelvin,

Types does support a many to many post relationship but an intermediary post type is needed.

Have a look at the link below.
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/getting-started-views/part-9-many-many-relationships/

Please let me know if this helps.
Thanks,
Shane

Dear Shane,

Problem is solved, thank you!

Kelvin

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.