Skip Navigation

[Resolved] #286 : Gallery custom field can only choose full size original files

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shane 1 year, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

I have this image hidden link, originally very wide, but resized to 2048 × 1365 by imagify when uploaded. The file URL now is hidden link

Then, I have this post hidden link, where I added the file in an image multiple field. After choosing it, I can notice the name of the file in the Toolset field is hidden link

Finally, I try to integrate this thanks to Elementor carousel widgets hidden link

And I notice if the carousel images are manually set, I can choose which thumb size to display. But if the carousel images are dynamically set based on the Toolset image field, then I can't choose anymore which thumb size to display, since it always get the full original file instead of the thumbs, which it doesn't find out.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Roman,

Thank you for getting in touch. The problem here is that wordpress addes the -scaled.jpg extension automatically for images that are large.

To disable this you can use this filter below.

add_filter( 'big_image_size_threshold', '__return_false' );

Additionally you can find further information on this below.
https://make.wordpress.org/core/2019/10/09/introducing-handling-of-big-images-in-wordpress-5-3/

Please let me know if this helps.
Thanks,
Shane

Hi,

As I understand this, the Toolset iamge custom field doesn't take into account the WordPress rescale function?
Isn't that a bug? Shouldn't this be solved?

Also, I've just added suggested filter to my functions.php with no change.

Thanks.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Roman,

Actually no it isn't. Even when the items are uploaded using an image field they are done using the WordPress API.

If the function doesn't work then you will need to reduce the size of your image.

Thanks,
Shane

I don't understand your answer, and my problem is not solved.

As I said, I added suggested filter to my functions.php with no change.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Roman,

What I mean is that even if you upload the images to your site using our Custom Fields, the image is still process by wordpress image API and will get the scaled added to it regardless.

I've just tested this filter hook on my end and it works fine. Can you try adding it to Toolset -> Settings -> Custom Code and ensure that you've activated it.

Thanks,
Shane

I need the images to be scaled by WordPress!
The problem is not there. The problem is your custom field doesn't take into account the scaled version of the image, which it should.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Roman,

I believe I understand the issue now.

Unfortunately our Shortcode doesn't give the option to display the default scaled image, you will need to use one of the scaled sizes that wordpress provides by default or define a custom scaled size.

What I mean by the default scaled sizes are Medium, Large and thumbnail.

Thanks,
Shane

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.