Skip Navigation

[Resolved] 24 running processes

This support ticket is created 4 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Beda 4 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

My site recently started running very slowly
It was diagnosed by HostGator to be caused by 24 running processes (max is 25)
This made it very difficult to diagnose because I keep getting 500 internal server errors
After many dead ends I decided to (a) reset the data base, (b) disable all plugin's, (c) monitor the number of running processes with cPanel

With all other plugin's disabled, I added your Forms, Views, Maps plugin's (in that order)
With no plugins activated I mostly get 0 processes running
After I added Maps I started getting 500 errors and had to refresh many times so as to get in and disable Maps (it has a proper Google API).

With the first two plugins enabled I consistently get 0, 1, occasionally 3 processes running, with three it slowly increases in count up to 11 processes running.
If I then disable Maps I get 0,1 running, however,

previously with more plugins activated (Layouts, Types) I got t 24 processes running which makes it very difficult to do anything (including disabling plugins)

I suspect the problem is not specific to Maps but more related to the number of your plugin's that are active

All plugins are up to date. The database reset eliminated all custom pages. I did have some JS on a custom page but that is gone. I did have some snippets of PHP that were called by shortcodes in Views but the Snippet plugin is disabled and, in any event, the calls to these snippets were in pages that are gone

This started about a week ago, at first I thought it was related to importing 1000 posts but the database reset has eliminated those. The imported records were 5 fields, including a lat/lon address and a category but I can't see how that is the cause because I used database reset (and previously deleted the custom type)
I've spent quite a few days trying different combinations to try and narrow this down

further information
with Forms, Layouts, Types, Views active (but Maps de-active) I get 19, 24 processes running

then I disabled Types and processes running went to zero
so, maybe related to Maps and/or Types being active

one hour after deactivating Types then process count had reduced to only 16
then deactivating Views and it immediately went to zero
The wordpress installation is 5.3.2, and was updated even though it was not needed

then activated Views (without first activating Types) the process count slowly increased: 4, 7, 15
when I subsequently disabled Views the process count immediately went to zero, and stayed at zero
- sorry for so many emails but its taking a long time to go back and forth to try and narrow the cause down
maybe, once Types is activated, it sets up conditions for Views to misbehave whereas before types runs Views is ok?

What processes do you refer to when you mention "processes running"?
Since you mention hostgator, I found this hidden link
Is that what you refer to?

This seems related to IMAP processes, hence email, not Toolset (unless you send many notifications with it?)

Also, I see it says "Note: Any cron jobs configured will require one of these sessions to be available in order to run, since cron jobs run under the same shell as SSH."
Toolset Blocks (and Gutenberg in general) works with the RESTful API of WordPress which - when you log in for example, starts to "talk" to the server, constantly.
This is native WordPress behaviour, but of course the load of data and under circumstances also the amount of calls increases the more plugins you have hooking onto that editor

I have however not yet seen complaints about this from server-side.

Can you specify of what nature the processes are exactly?
The host should be able to list these, and explain why these are seen as processes that are limited.

I am not aware of any call to Mailers unless you use Forms notifications, and Toolset performs CRONS as well for those, and other operations, but until now there were no issues with limits, as it is all within the WordPress standards.

Knowing more about what precise processes are the issue will help us narrow this down.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.