Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Using Layout to display taxonomy archives

This support ticket is created 7 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by horngO 7 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

I have created a layout template called "My Taxonomy Archive Layout"

Currently, under the site's main menu, there is a section within the main menu called "Bags". The Bags menu is created from a custom taxonomy called "Bags".

Now, I am able to assign "My Taxonomy Archive Layout" to the menu items in the Bags menu. Within the layout template, I have a placed a WordPress Archive, which displays the products in the Bags taxonomy. However, nothing is being displayed.
Did I assign something incorrectly?

Let me know if you need login credential to go in and see what's wrong. Thank you.

Now, I am able to assign "My Taxonomy Archive Layout" to the menu items in the Bags menu.

There must be a misunderstanding here, as Layouts cannot be assigend to Menu Items.

They can be assigned to Pages, Posts, Archives, but not to Menus.

Within the layout template, I have a placed a WordPress Archive, which displays the products in the Bags taxonomy. However, nothing is being displayed.

Please proceed like this:

1. Create a Layout
2. Insert a Cell, choose the "Archive Views" Cell
3. A pop up presents you the Views Archive Screen:
- choose your taxonomy to be queried
- insert what you want to be displayed in the Loop
- close and save, it returns to the Layout
4. Assign this Layout to the proper Archive (your taxonomy).

Now, when you visit the taxonomy archive you should see what you have programmed into the Archive View Cell.

There are theoretically only 2 possible things to display:
- what you programmed
- "No Items Found" (means, there would be no items on your site yet, or, the view archive has a problematic Query)

What do I need to know to help you better:

1. Does the issue persist with Toolset only, and a native WordPress Theme or our Toolset Starter Theme?
2. What exactly do you see - a complete white page, or is there some content?
==> If the page is completely white, please activate the WP Debug Mode in your wp-config.php file.
https://codex.wordpress.org/WP_DEBUG. Then tell me the error you see.
3. In case all above steps do not provide any clue at all, I would need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site
- preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible -
in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed

Your next answer will be private which means only you and I have access to it.

❌ Please backup your database and website ❌

✙ I would additionally need your permission to de- and re-activate Plugins and the Theme, and to change configurations on the site.
This is also a reason the backup is really important
✙ Please share the exact links to:
- the Layout
- the FrontEnd where I can see the problem
- the Taxonomie Edit Screen in question
- the Posts associated with this Taxonomy

Thanks!

This is a Bag Archive:
/bag/accessory-bags/

There is the Layout assigned as mentioned by you (My Taxonomy Archive Layout)

The Archive View applied is "Product Categories".
This Archive queries Bags, with attached Products.

This archvie View works on none of the Taxonomy archives.

It displays an empty DIV, if you analyse the HTML code on the Front End.

This speaks for some CSS or PHP hiding the Content of the Archive View.

Does the issue also persist with a WordPress Default Theme?

Does the issue persist if you delete the View Archive Cell from the Layout, and create a new one, from within Layouts?
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/using-layout-to-display-taxonomy-archives/#post-554152

If so, please send me a Site's Snapshot. It is too risky to make more changes on your Live Site.
https://toolset.com/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

Thanks

layout.JPG

Actually, I may have figured out. I made some sample output in the Layout template. It seems for some reasons, the first row in the Layout template will always be hidden.

Front End Bags Archive.png
Layout.png
Layout assignement.png
View Archive Cell.png

That is definitely not expected, and it's not replicable locally either.

It's also not replicable on your Install.

I created a Test Layout "Toolset Layout Test".
I added a Row (Visual Editor) and added the text "First Row"
Then I also added a Views Archive Cell, and created a New Views Archive within it.

I then assigned the Layout randomly to a few Taxonomy Archives, as well as the Bag archives.

This all works perfectly fine.
Please see the screenshots.

You can also delete the first row, it will still work.

I suggest, you port your design from the Archive View you already created to the new one, to avoid confusion and loss of time.

Please let me know it this is helpful for you!

Somehow, the problem went away. Not too sure how or why. Thank you for the help. Although, I did come across another problem. I will start another thread on it.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.