Skip Navigation

[Resolved] User form or Post Form

This support ticket is created 5 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by indianplayschools 5 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

I am trying to build a community website to bridge the gap between designers, users and manufacturers.
I want to bring all the related people on one platform. Check my demo page hidden link

Now, my query is some users have to register as designer or as manufacturer or as both.
Of course, they have to fill both the forms if they want to register as both.
Now I want to make this form for registration. Should I be using post forms or user forms? Their profiles as designers should be visible to all. Here's how I mean
hidden link

They should also be able to update their profiles based on changing expertise.
Please advise.

It depends whether the people subscribing as designers, users and manufacturers (and potentially as all of them at once) should be distinct WordPress users or instead of one User (the person behind it) that has different "Roles".

In this case, you would better create a User Field where the Person can choose their role in a checkboxes field for example.

But - I assume, later on, you will want to search thru those users and roles and also eventually connect them to other content.
In this case, it's better to create Posts.

Hence, the User as a person will not create a WordPress User but a Post of each a type (designers, users and manufacturers.).
He will be the author of that very post of type designers, users or manufacturers and hence easily recognizable and connected to the "roles" post.

If you want to go further you can even mimic the WordPress user to a post type, as shown here.
https://toolset.com/documentation/post-relationships/how-to-create-custom-searches-and-relationships-for-users/

That could be the best way to approach this.

In that case you would use one User Form (but just to let them create their WordPress User Account) and then several Post Forms with which those users can create the related "roles" they belong to (which I suppose will be enterprises, self-employees, and more all gathered under the 3 types designers, users and manufacturers, right?)

It would then be necessary to create a 4th type "profile" or similar, where the information about this user is stored in a post type (just as described at the link above, there we use contractors as an example)

Thank you for answering my question even on weekend.
Ok. The documentation answers all my questions. Thanks a lot for showing me the way.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.