Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Trouble creating a slider from images attached to post

This support ticket is created 7 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Shane 7 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

I am trying to: Display images that were imported and attached to a post.

I visited this URL: hidden link

I expected to see: Images or a slider

Instead, I got: Blank

I solved this (but not the way I wanted) by disabling the layouts plugin. I will still try tinkering with it and update more. Not sure why it's not working with the Avada theme. I did install the Avada integration plugin, which I'm assuming would catch stuff like this.

Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 10.57.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 10.56.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 10.56.45 PM.png

Okay I am lost here. I've tried pretty much everything I've found over several hours. I've given up on the slideshow in favor of just getting images to display from either.

The images are attached to the post (child posts I learned) but any code I found doesn't seem to work. Alternatively, we need to know how to display an image from a custom field URL on the same post.

I have the parent post filter on to Select posts whose parent is the page where the View is shown.

In the loop output editor I've tried several things, but none seem to work.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for contacting our support forum.

Let me see how best I can assist you with this.

The images on the posts they are attached to custom fields correct?

Are these custom fields repeatable fields ? Could you provide a screenshot of the custom field on the backend.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

The images were imported by wp import and attached to the post. Separately, I have the URL from that image in a custom field, but I'd rather not use that. These were images exported from Airtable, so I want to be able to do this using the images attached.

I followed the tutorial and got this working for featured images, but am missing something for slider images displaying child posts (attached images to the post)

Okay, a quick update here: hidden link

I have the images working in the slider but they're not unique to the post (listing). I have one view which is the child posts inside a slider view. Would this be a setting, filter or straight code issue?

Shane
Supporter

Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 11.47.17 AM.png

Hi Andrew,

Yes this is a setting.

What you need to do is to add Query filter for post id. See Screenshot.

Then you simply just pass the ID of the current post into the view code by doing this.

[wpv-views name='my view' ids='[wpv-post-id]']

Please try this and let me know if it helps.
Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

Just to be clear, all I wanted was to create a simple post-based slider using my Avada theme with your "avada compatibility plugin", the directions which just described a few settings.

I'll tell you, this project went from difficult to freaking impossible because of your company's product. It's funny, when you search day and night for a solution to create a damn SLIDER with your tool, (after spending $150) to discover that no one has actually figured it out without resorting to PHP code within your "no coding" product.

In fact, I looked at every single sucker that bought your tool and desperately reached out to your "NO CODING NEEDED" tool in the forums. Can you guess the answer I saw every single time?

A BUNCH OF FREAKING CODE.

It was easy at first to set up custom post types with toolset types, but the minute I needed to do anything practical beyond that, I found your "views" and "content template" tool completely useless.

I own a marketing firm, and have enough experience coming from advanced custom fields to know that what I'm looking for: A tool that can help me easily create and register a custom post type, without directing me to go into filezilla and duplicate, edit template files all day long. Also, I want to use those fields in my content without constantly editing my template files. Why?

BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT YOU GUYS CONSTANTLY SAY! Keep in mind, I'm just trying to create a simple post based slider that will display my attachments imported to my media file (and attached) by WP All Import. Easy eh? Your instructions constantly said it was easy, and just a matter of "rooms and windows".

So anyone else reading that wants to create a slider from posts, just give up now. I'm not a genius, but I can definitely recognize a BS workaround when I see one. Want to know how to create a slider? Here's what I learned from a solid week I couldn't afford to spend:

Want a slider? EASY! Just create a "view" for your "child posts". OH.. you didn't know that pictures in your media file were actually child posts?? Geez get with it. So you've went through 20 different steps to create your first view. BUT WAIT THERES MORE!

Now you need another view for the "slider". This is especially easy according to the instructions. You create the view, then (following exact instructions of over no less than 150 tries) inorporate the view in the "loop". Or is it the fields? Wait what's the filter that I use? Parent of the post or post of the parent?? Nevermind this is all just easy stuff.

So you've got the images (the rooms? windows?) and youv'e got the parent view. Now you need a content template.

FORGET ABOUT USING ANY INTUITIVE LAYOUT BUILDERS FROM HERE ON OUT. You're on their platform now. OH.. they'll block fusion builder, but they'll "allow" visual composer to screw up everything for you, but only in their content template view. But we're not coding right???

OH YEAH NO CODING.. FEELS SO GOOD.

So I've got the first view, the second view and the content template. I could totally rock a simple slider now right??? NOPE. You've got to have a soul sucking sorry excuse for a layout editor to be able to show your images, which are in a view, which are in your slider view, which are in your content template, which are in your layout.

BUT I'M NOT CODING THOUGH!!!! Wait... so how to I activate this slider? Code. CODE??. Can I create a slider using Revolution Slider? Nope. Owler slider? Possibly, but there are no directs or examples. Just "PUT THE NECESSARY SETTINGS PERFECTLY IN 20 DIFFERENT PLACES AND THEN APPLY YOUR FAVORITE CODE TO ACTIVE. SO EASY!

Where do I put it? WHAT code? Duh.. In one of the views, within one of the filters within one of the loops within a content template and if you're a particular idiot like me, within a "layout".

Guess what? There's no more functionality in your custom post type anymore, because this ToolTypes Tool has completely taken your stuff over. Just to get a halfway decent layout in your custom post type, you've got to use HTML, CSS and Javascript to get a layout with YUP! Easy..

I use fusion builder, for the most part. That was completely blocked or incompatible with your "content templates". I was in a huge crunch and searching all night with my employee for an answer. All I saw was random PHP code coming from your forum moderators. That's it.

I asked you the question, and after 12 hours I get "What you need to do is to add Query filter for post id. See Screenshot.
Then you simply just pass the ID of the current post into the view code by doing this. (proceeds to display code not included anywhere)

So where do I put it? My media view, slider view, content template?

Which one of the 30+ settings vaguely described did I miss? Where the heck to I pass the ID of the current post? Do I have to do that for each post? Jesus.

Because I really tried here. I failed. So I scrapped layouts which was a massive step back in basic layout builders, and then scrapped the content templates because they also blocked layout builder, unless you count a buggy visual composer "hack".

Guess how I solved the issue? Fusion Builder had a posted based slider the whole freaking time. OH! I want to use my custom field URL's I imported as a backup? Nope. No solution to render as an image. Completely massive waster of time.

I want my $150 back. You guys are a pretty misguided company that dupes people like me looking for relatively simple tools for my team to use. All I got was a massive workaround and a reinstall of Advanced Custom Fields. Back to filezilla and hoping I don't miss a comma somewhere.

Thanks for the stress ToolTypes.

Hi Andrew,

This Mohammed, the Toolset support team leader.

I will do my best to help you to implement your requirements.

In the meantime, I'm reading the ticket carefully right now to understand your issue.

Please wait for a few minutes and I will get back to you again.

Thanks.

Hi Andrew,

Here are the documentation pages that will help you to construct the slider:

https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/querying-and-displaying-child-posts/
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/creating-sliders-with-types-and-views/

I may offer you a support video call to help you to construct your requirements in live video conference: https://toolset.com/toolset-support-policy/ask-support-video-call/

Also, if you want, you can provide your admin dashboard access credentials and we can login to your website and solve your issue for you with a detailed explanation for what have been done.

Here, you will only need to inform us about the issue details like the custom post type name and the view name you already made and the custom field name.

If you want to refund, please fill the form on this page: https://toolset.com/buy/refund-policy/
And we will proceed directly with the refund process.

It will be a pleasure to us to post here your valuable suggestions that definitely will make our products better.

Thanks,

Shane
Supporter

Hi Andrew,

Any update on this ?

Please let me know.
Thanks,
Shane

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.