Skip Navigation

[Closed] There is a limit on the number of custom post types I can create?

The Toolset Community Forum is closed, for technical support questions, please head on to our Toolset Professional Support (for paid clients), with any pre-sale or admin question please contact us here.
This support ticket is created 11 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.
This is the community support forum for Types plugin, which is part of Toolset. Toolset is a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients and people who registered for Types community support can post in it.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 19:00 10:00 – 19:00 10:00 – 19:00 10:00 – 19:00 10:00 – 19:00 -
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Caridad 11 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Caridad.

Author

As far as I know, generically speaking, the answer is no.

But with Types, I've created 5 custom post types.
I usually leave the menu order empty.

The last one doesn't shows up in the left menu.

When playing with the menu order, I've set up the first to 10 and the following ones to 11, 12, 13, 14, 15.

The last one still didn't show up.

When moving the first one to 9 then I see all the others.

I'm quite confused: why this is happening?

Dear Andrea,

As far as I know, the only limit is for 20 characters for the slug of the custom type. Are yours shorter?

Have a look at menu_position here for the meaning of that number:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/register_post_type#Arguments

Regards,
Caridad

Caridad, I was supposed to get notified for your answer, but I've only get the usual 'Excellent customer service is important to us, and we want to make sure that all support tickets are resolved to your satisfaction.' message (sent by WPML, btw) that made me realize there was an answer.

Anyway is not a CPT name's length issue: is a CTP 'quantity' issue, apparently.

Also, thank you for the link, but I know the meaning of the menu_position, or I wouldn't have been able to find the way to make it working 😉

Thanks

Dear Andrea,

I see, could it be a problem with menu_position numbers you are using? Can you try to leave them all empty, or set them all to 10. I have sites with more than 10 custom types defined and they have no problems.

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can assist you with.

Regards,
Caridad

Hello again Caridad,

Good tip, thank you!

Yes, leaving them empty makes them appears all, but they aren't in the place I want them to be.

I've made some attempt and set them again from 10 to 15 and the last one (the one with menu_position=15) disappeared. Then tried to use 16 and 17 with the same result.
18 worked, but this moved the item in a place where there are the "Links" menu (that I would happily get rid of) and the Gravity Forms menu (the other 4 items are right after the "Media" item instead).

Regards,
Andrea

Dear Andrea,

Can you try setting them all to numbers between 10 and 14? For example, having several items with 10 assigned.

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can assist you with.

Regards,
Caridad

Caridad,

I've tried, since the beginning, setting all of them with to 10, and now, setting only the "exceeding" one to all values from 10 to 15, without success.

Hi Andrea,

Are you using the latest version of WordPress?

Regards,
Caridad

Yes Caridad,

latest version of both WP (3.4.2) and WP-Types (1.0.4).

Regards,
Andrea

Dear Andrea,

Can you send me a dump of your database? I will send you a private email requesting.

Regards,
Caridad

The topic ‘[Closed] There is a limit on the number of custom post types I can create?’ is closed to new replies.