Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Reference Site Assistance

This support ticket is created 7 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Chris 7 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

I have several questions for you.

The Reference site is: psychdemo1.discover.wp.com

1. Header: How can I make the header image deeper i.e. to enlarge it?

2. Header/Menu: How do I relocate the menu to sit on top of the header image, and without the red colouring? I just want plain text.

3. In the ‘featured ads’, how do I remove the words that cover the image, and place the words underneath the image?

4. Search Box: I have removed the ‘price’ filter/box, but now the other boxes are out of alignment. How do I relocate the boxes so they are inline? Also, how do I make the boxes larger (wider) than what they are?

5. Maps: The Classified reference site does not have the Maps plugin included. I do feel that it is necessary these days to have a map included, is it just a matter of uploading the maps plugin when it comes to my own site, and it all should work nicely? I can see that this is a vague question, but it’s still a question.

Any assistance is always appreciated.

Thank you
Chris

Hi, I'll try to answer each question for you.

1. Header: How can I make the header image deeper i.e. to enlarge it?
By deeper, do you mean taller? If so, you can modify the maximum height setting for your header image by going to Customize > Custom CSS and adding the following code:

.header-background-image img
{
  max-height: 1000px;
}

You may change 1000px to be any height you would like. Then, upload a new image that will fill up the available space. To replace the current image, go to Toolset > Layouts and edit Header and Footer. Click the image cell to modify the current image with any image from your Media Library.

2. Header/Menu: How do I relocate the menu to sit on top of the header image, and without the red colouring? I just want plain text.
You will need to add the following code in Customize > Custom CSS:

.ddl-nav-wrap.ddl-navbar.ddl-navbar-default.ddl-nav-horizontal {
  background: none;
}

This will remove the background color from your desktop menu. The mobile menu will retain the background color.

3. In the ‘featured ads’, how do I remove the words that cover the image, and place the words underneath the image?
Edit the Layout for this page. Edit the Featured Ads slider cell. In the "Ad format - slider" template, open the CSS editor panel and add the following code:

.featured-slider .featured-item
{
  vertical-align: top;  
}

.featured-slider .featured-item header.block-under-image {
  position: relative;
  right: 0;
  left: 0;
}

4. Search Box: I have removed the ‘price’ filter/box, but now the other boxes are out of alignment. How do I relocate the boxes so they are inline? Also, how do I make the boxes larger (wider) than what they are?
You can modify the HTML and CSS for your filters by going to Toolset > Views > Parametric ads search. Scroll down the page to the Filter Editor and make your changes here. If this is something you need assistance with, let me know.

5. Maps: The Classified reference site does not have the Maps plugin included. I do feel that it is necessary these days to have a map included, is it just a matter of uploading the maps plugin when it comes to my own site, and it all should work nicely? I can see that this is a vague question, but it’s still a question.
Depending on what you want to do, the Maps plugin may or may not be required. The Maps plugin is useful if you want to add location information to each post, like an address, and have a corresponding map display on the single post page. You'll need a Google Maps API Key, but everything else can be provided by the Toolset plugins. More information about the Maps plugin can be found here: https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/display-on-google-maps/

If you just want to show a single map that displays your office location or something similar, the Maps plugin isn't necessary. You can follow these instructions from Google: hidden link

Hi Christian,

Thank you for your assistance. However......

I was able to change the "Header Image", thank you. However, I still do not know how to place the menu to sit above the "header image".

I was also unable to remove the writing that covers the images in the "featured slider". I want to be able to place the name and some details of the person to sit just below their image.

The "search box" I know where it is located, but I do not know how to readjust the size of the boxes or to shift them around.

The Map matter I will deal with later.

I do appreciate your help. Thank you.

Cheers
Chris

However, I still do not know how to place the menu to sit above the "header image".
There are several ways to do this, but I recommend using the Layout editor. Go to Toolset > Layouts and click the Header and Footer Layout to open the Layout editor. Click the "+" button on any row above the header image to create a new row in your Layout design. Then insert a Menu cell in that row that contains your main menu. You may delete the other menu cell beneath the header image.

I was also unable to remove the writing that covers the images in the "featured slider".
Hi, can you tell me more about this problem? Was the problem that you were unable to find where to add the CSS I described, or that the CSS did not do what you expected?

but I do not know how to readjust the size of the boxes or to shift them around.
Moving the filter elements around in a custom search View is not something that is accomplished with a drag-and-drop editor or GUI tool. This is something that requires a bit of HTML knowledge. You can modify the HTML and CSS that are used to display the filters in the "Filter Editor" section of your View editor (/wp-admin/admin.php?page=views-editor&view_id=6060 in the reference site). We use the Bootstrap framework, so you may use their grid system: hidden link

If you have a specific design in mind, I can assist with this. I would need a mockup showing the layout you have in mind.

Thanks Christian. I will need several days to get sufficient time to try your suggestions, and then I can let you know how I went.

Cheers
Chris

That's fine. This ticket will remain open for 30 days following your most recent reply, unless you choose to close it out before then. I'll watch for your updates.

Hi Christian. I have decided to wait and see what you guys do with integrating Toolset with other new "starter themes" such as Generate Press. I'm hoping that my struggles will be somewhat resolved with these new integrations. Fingers crossed anyway.

Please consider this ticket closed, and thank you for your assistance, you're good at your job Christian.

Cheers
Chris

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.