Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Redundant Archives Layouts and WordPress Archives

The Toolset Community Forum is closed, for technical support questions, please head on to our Toolset Professional Support (for paid clients), with any pre-sale or admin question please contact us here.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Why must I use WordPress Archives and also set up Archive Layouts? Are these both necessary?

Solution:
The WordPress Archive feature was around in Views long before the Layouts plugin came along, and it's still required to show the relevant results on an archive page. Without Layouts plugin active, this feature still works the same way - you set up a Loop that displays each relevant result.

With the Layouts plugin active, you can create a Layout design for an archive page using the drag and drop interface to set up rows and columns of cells. However, you won't be able to control the results display on that archive page until you insert a WordPress Archive cell where you can design the Loop Output. So the two items work together when Layouts is active. Layouts is used to design the wrapping container, and WordPress Archives are used to construct the loop of results (and filters, if you choose to use them).

Relevant Documentation:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/normal-vs-archive-views/
https://toolset.com/documentation/getting-started-with-toolset/customize-post-archives/

This support ticket is created 6 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.
This is the community support forum for Types plugin, which is part of Toolset. Toolset is a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients and people who registered for Types community support can post in it.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by tomG-8 6 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author
layout-for-archive.jpg
archive-layout.jpg

(This is probably a low-priority request. Everything's working -- it's just confusing.)

I set up an archives for a custom post type by making a Layout ("Layout for Endorsements archive" in the attached graphic.)

Later, learned about the WordPress Archives feature, and set up another one ("Accomplishments archive").

Now, the two archives -- which seem to be functionally similar -- appear on different admin pages. Only one shows up on my Toolset Dashboard. And I'm not sure how they're different, e.g. whether there are features only available through one method.

I don't really need help for my own sake, as they seem to work fine. But perhaps either:

1) Clarify the difference in documentation, or
2) Merge the two methods (maybe by getting rid of the redundant "Wordpress archives" feature?).

I'd appreciate a short clarification, just to satisfy my curiosity. Thanks!

Hi, I see how this can be confusing. The WordPress Archive feature was around in Views long before the Layouts plugin came along, and it's still required to show the relevant results on an archive page. Without Layouts plugin active, this feature still works the same way - you set up a Loop that displays each relevant result.

With the Layouts plugin active, you can create a Layout design for an archive page using the drag and drop interface to set up rows and columns of cells. However, you won't be able to control the results display on that archive page until you insert a WordPress Archive cell where you can design the Loop Output. So the two items work together when Layouts is active. Layouts is used to design the wrapping container, and WordPress Archives are used to construct the loop of results (and filters, if you choose to use them).

Thanks for the clarification! I had a hunch that one method was there for historical reasons.

The forum ‘Types Community Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.