Skip Navigation

[Resolved] ReclinerRC Development Server

This support ticket is created 6 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by DianneB565 6 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

TWO Issues:

Issue 1: Toolset "white screen of death"
Currently all development has been in the Production site for reclinercg.com. Recognizing the need to hire contractors for additional work, I created this development site for all new development. To prepare the Development site, I performed a backup of the production site using All in One Migration and imported it into the Development site. Even though I added this license code to the site, I am experiencing the Toolset "white screen of death".

How do I get the site to show the code?

Issue 2: Development syncing with Production
What do you suggest that I do to keep these two environments in sync. From now on, all development will be in this environment. When a new module is completed, it will be "packaged" and installed into production.

Modules has to function properly for this plan to work. IF this is not the primary method to keep development and production sites in sync, what is the proper method? How do other businesses perform this task?

The license code to the site does in no case avoid or provoke the "Toolset "white screen of death"."

I think you refer to "White Page Of Death" (WPOD) which means a white, blank page, a commonly used Term in WordPress that describes the screen seen when a PHP error is happening but not shown.
This problem is usually determinate by enabling WP Debug and checking what the error is, then solving it (on whatever side the error is from)
https://codex.wordpress.org/WP_DEBUG

The license code itself is not even need to use Toolset actually, it's just needed to update it and get support.

I am not sure what you mean by "How do I get the site to show the code?", if you refer to the license code, you own an agency license and can just register the new (Staging) site in your account and then register Toolset on your new staging site.
However, it's not necessary for just development purpose, but if you want, you can and are welcome to do so.

Related to how to keep the things in sync, I suggest this:
- PHP code is tested and then added to the live site as example in form of a Plugin (which you can simply store on GIT or similar)
- Other, Toolset-Only things you do in WP Admin can be exported/imported as Modules or under Toolset > Export > Import as well.

Please let me know what PHP error you see, and if it still happens with only Toolset.
We can then help to narrow down the issue and solve it.

Beda,

Please forgive my lack of coding experience. Could there be an easier way?

Can I just delete Toolset completely from the Development site and reinstall? I don't know how to do what you are suggesting - at all.

Hi, yes you could delete all the Toolset plugins from your development server and install again, sure. The plugin folders are located in the wp-content/plugins/ directory, but I don't know which Toolset plugins you are using so I cannot give you more specific information. If the problem continues with all Toolset plugins deleted, then there is a problem with your migration process. The best way to troubleshoot at this point is to turn on server logs as Beda mentioned. I can give you step-by-step instructions.
- Find the wp-config.php file in the main directory of your WordPress installation.
- Edit the file. Find the line that says "define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);". Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

Then add these lines, just before it says 'stop editing here':

ini_set('log_errors',TRUE);
ini_set('error_reporting', E_ALL);
ini_set('error_log', dirname(__FILE__) . '/error_log.txt');

- Save the file, and upload it to your development server.
- Try to log in to wp-admin again. If this process triggers any server-side errors, a new file will be created in your site's main directory called "error_log.txt". Please send me its contents, then you may revert the changes you made in wp-config.php by following those steps above in reverse.

If you are not able to get this to work, I can log in to your development server and take a look for you. Please provide FTP and wp-admin access in the private reply fields here.

Christian and Beda, Thank you! I used your support steps to fix the issue!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.