Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Problem with server requirements : Repeated White Screens of Death…

This support ticket is created 5 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Beda 5 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author
ovh.png

Hello,
First of all, sorry for my poor English... hope you'll understand my concern anyway.

I am currently working on a website using the Toolset plugin. The idea: creating a streaming platform with an e-commerce section. Cause I'm not a developer, I'm also using other plugins such as Elementor and Woocommerce.
My hosting server provider had installed the environment as described in attachment, but the site doesn't work properly : I get repeated "White Screens of Death", again and again, and I can imagine the installation isn't strong enough...

I contacted OVH to be advised on the appropriate server option to be set but they send me back to you.
They may offer a "pro" option configuration: hidden link
Do you think it would be OK to support your plugin?

Thank you in advance for your cooperation and your prompt reply.
Kind regards,

Mallorie

WPOD (White Page of Death) can only be resolved with one method: Enable Debug.
https://codex.wordpress.org/WP_DEBUG

Then the WPOD will usually display the error, which is causing the WPOD.
That error then helps us from support to determine what the issue is and update you with the details about how to solve it.

Toolset's requirements are mentioned here:
https://toolset.com/toolset-requirements/

I see no obvious omits to the php info of your site, hidden link, but I am also not sure if I am checking the right file as there were several linked on your shared link.

Thanks for replying so fast, Beda!
I know there are several links in the url (hidden link) sent by OVH, my hosting service provider, but I admit I don't understand the purpose... Grrrr!

Anyway, in the configuration I have used by now (the screenshot I had attached in my previous message), I followed your process for WP Debug, but didn't see anything, no display...

I realise I did not give you the link of the site concerned... Here it is: hidden link
Is it helpful?

I can only see a WPOD.
Enabling Debug will display the error, unless the error is not within any of the install files (instead, in the server)
Then, your server hosting will be able to tell what the error is as they keep error logs of the site, usually.

I can log in and try to enable WP Debug myself if you can provide access to the site (SFTP and WP Admin).
Also, please ask your server hosting about the error logs so we can check.

I suspect a fatal expiration of execution time or memory, cannot be sure, however.
Does the WPOD go away if you disable WooCommerce or WooCommerce Views or Toolset?
(If not, then this is not a Toolset issue, but a server issue, if yes, it might be due to an outdated version of WooCommerce or WooCommerce Views)

Well, those errors are not related to Toolset, and not the product of WordPress debug either.

I can reach the WordPress Admin of your site without any issue, but as soon I try to reach the Plugins page to see the missing updates I also get an E500 (HTTP ERROR 500).

I logged in to the FTP to add debug statements as I suggested in past but I see that was done already:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

Hence the error is not displayed but logged, and that log is in the Server you shared, under the folder "logs".
The log is quite big, 4.5 MB, and this will slow down your site.
Please either ask the developer or server admin who established this for you (if you did not yourself) to take care of it and either remove or disable, error logging of this size in a live site.

The latest error is:

2019/02/26 12:59:45 [error] 873#873: *19960 FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: PHP Warning:  include(/var/www/corpostream.com/www/htdocs/wp-content/advanced-cache.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/corpostream.com/www/htdocs/wp-settings.php on line 84

PHP message: PHP Warning:  include(): Failed opening '/var/www/corpostream.com/www/htdocs/wp-content/advanced-cache.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php') in /var/www/corpostream.com/www/htdocs/wp-settings.php on line 84

PHP message: PHP Fatal error:  Out of memory (allocated 10485760) (tried to allocate 8192 bytes) in /var/www/corpostream.com/www/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/types/vendor/toolset/types/embedded/classes/repeater.php on line 128

PHP message: PHP Fatal error:  Out of memory (allocated 10485760) (tried to allocate 8192 bytes) in /var/www/corpostream.com/www/htdocs/wp-includes/plugin.php on line 432" while reading response header from upstream, client: 182.232.171.208, server: <em><u>hidden link</u></em>, request: "POST /wp-admin/admin-ajax.php HTTP/1.1", upstream: "<em><u>hidden link</u></em>:", host: "www.corpostream.com", referrer: "<em><u>hidden link</u></em>"

This error is not due to Toolset Type even if it is mentioned in the error log, but likely to the plugin "advanced-cache.php"
Also, I see that your wp-config is limited to 128M, which is enough for Toolset, but maybe not enough for other software.
It is also not an adequate place to determine Memory limits, that would be better set on the server side to be sure of it's applying the rule.

I suggest:
- check how many Custom Fields you have for Toolset Types
(If there are many, you need more memory, like around 500)
- remove cache and other plugins/theme to see if it is really Toolset that makes this happen (as mentioned, likely it is the cache plugin error, which cannot find a file requested somewhere else by the server)

This issue (file cannot be found) maybe eats up all server memory (and more) leaving other plugins like Toolset no space to breathe hence the failure.

Hi Beda,
Thanks for your time and cooperation.

I think I have found the reason of the error generated by the missing "advanced-cache.php" file. It was due to a former plugin I had deleted and that had previously added the following in the wp-config : define('WP_CACHE', true);
Despite that, I continued having WPODs at various times...

Regarding the memory, I suspected that only mentioning a line in the wp-config wouldn't have any impact... I also talked about that with my hosting service provider but he's not very helpful and leaves me in the dark for now. I'm going to contact him again (or even find another provider).

Anyway, I sincerely thank you for your expertise and precious help!
I'm still looking deeper into this mess... I'll succeed one day 😉

Regards,
Mallorie

Sure, please let me know if I can be of any further assistance with this.

I can safely assume, that the issue is due to memory being eaten up elsewhere and then Types fails.
This might as elaborated be due to many Custom fields, in which case, you will need a stronger server (more mem, more execution time, etc)

If you can provide me with a copy of the Database and FTP I can prove that locally, and show that it's solved as soon certain errors are solved / and/or values increased, which you then can use for contacting the server administrator.

Duplicator (https://toolset.com/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/) or other duplicating services likely won't work on your site due to the errors, hence, a copy of the database and FTP would be better.

Activated private reply in case it's needed.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.