Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Partial Input Value Capture & Form Content Gate

The Toolset Community Forum is closed, for technical support questions, please head on to our Toolset Professional Support (for paid clients), with any pre-sale or admin question please contact us here.
This support ticket is created 6 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.
This is the community support forum for Types plugin, which is part of Toolset. Toolset is a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients and people who registered for Types community support can post in it.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do?

1.) Have the ability to where if someone inputs their email, and have tabbed to the next input field, but did NOT complete the form, to have that captured and integrated with Zapier to be sent to my CRM.

2.) Is there a way to gate a portion of the form until someone enters in a value for a field? Ex: hidden link

3.) Similarly, is there a way to show parts of a form, and reveal the remaining parts of a form AFTER they've entered a value? Ex: hidden link

I know that Gravity Forms (hidden link) and WPForms (hidden link) can do this, and would love to know if CRED has this capability, or is able to have "extensions" that can be extended from base CRED to do this?

Is there any documentation that you are following?

No

Is there a similar example that we can see?

Yes, see above.

1.) Have the ability to where if someone inputs their email, and have tabbed to the next input field, but did NOT complete the form, to have that captured and integrated with Zapier to be sent to my CRM.
This sounds like something that would require custom JavaScript and an integration with the Zapier API. Unfortunately that kind of customization falls outside the scope of the support we provide here in the forums. A skilled developer may be able to help you with this, and you can try to connect with one in our contractors portal: https://toolset.com/contractors

2.) Is there a way to gate a portion of the form until someone enters in a value for a field? Ex: hidden link;
You can hide parts of a CRED form using CRED Conditional Groups, as described here: https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/conditional-display-for-form-inputs/
When testing the value of a text or number field, the conditional is evaluated after the User tabs out or focuses elsewhere on the page. Select and radio field conditionals are evaluated upon interaction.

3.) Similarly, is there a way to show parts of a form, and reveal the remaining parts of a form AFTER they've entered a value? Ex: hidden link;
I'm sorry, I don't understand the difference between this one and #2. The gifs are identical. Could you provide more information that differentiates between #2 and #3?

Thanks, Christian.

Are there any plans for CRED to incorporate these types of functionality as part of improving the plugin? Similar to:

Gravity Forms (hidden link) and WPForms (hidden link)

I think it would be fantastic to create an eco-system of extensions we can toggle on / off depending on our needs and would really enhance the capabilities of CRED.

Also, curious to know - is there an upcoming roadmap of CRED? Would be interested to know what types of features the team is looking to implement and release.

Thank you,

I can see how this type of form abandonment system would be helpful for capturing leads. I haven't seen this particular request before for CRED, so I can ask Beda - our CRED developer liaison - to evaluate your request and determine if it's something we might be able to add to our software in the future. I'll forward this ticket to him and he will respond to you soon.

Let me reply to your requests and see if we can provide workarounds or file requests.

Have the ability to where if someone inputs their email, and have tabbed to the next input field, but did NOT complete the form, to have that captured and integrated with Zapier to be sent to my CRM.

As Christian outlined correctly this seems to require integration with a 3rd party Software and custom code.
I am not familiar with the software you use and we would need to have some details on how this is supposed to work.

If you mean a mechanism that notifies you when a client submits a form with not enough data or wrong data, will not be added to CRED through any other 3rd party I think, because CRED does that already.
As Christian elaborated you can use validation to ensure the form is correct and complete.
Notifications can be sent with CRED and could be sent when validation fails, if you wish this, although a correct error handling on the form should be enough.

if you mean notification on when the form is abandoned, this requires a lot of details on "how it should work".
it has. lot of options on how something like that should or could work.
If you have a vision on how this could work, please let us know so I can connect this to the eventual request.

Is there a way to gate a portion of the form until someone enters in a value for a field?

This is already possible and needs no new feature unless you have a different vision of how this should work.
With a conditional output of CRED, you should be able to create just that.

Similarly, is there a way to show parts of a form, and reveal the remaining parts of a form AFTER they've entered a value?

As Christian was not clear, I am neither.
This is just as #2.
You do not seem to have elaborated on that, hence I assume this is the same request as the above.

Are there any plans for CRED to incorporate these types of functionality as part of improving the plugin? Similar to:

Gravity Forms (hidden link) and WPForms (hidden link;

I have read hidden link and see that:
- Conditional Logic
Only create a Partial Entry when certain conditions are met.

This should be possible with CRED conditional and it's API.
You can show, hide and save whatever you want and whenever you want.
Please open a ticket specifically for such a task, if you struggle doing so with CRED.

I admit, CRED looks and feels like a baseball bat compared to what you shared above, which seems more a butterfly.
With this I want to say, we need to improve massively with our "flow", the entire AJAX handling and "feel" of our conditionals and eventually make more things possible in the backend which now is possible only with the API.

These are massive developments that we want to do, CRED must receive such updates to survive.
Times of HTML/PHP forms are over, and user-side systems take over.
This is something we will do, and I assume that things will get much smoother with CRED in future, but it will require time.

- View Partial Entries
View partial entries that have been created even if the form was abandoned by the user.

This is simply not yet possible with CRED unless you apply a custom logic which probably takes longer than even code such a form yourself.
The problem here is that CRED acts purely upon click on the submit button.
Whether you save by AJAX or PHP does not matter, CRED will act only once you submit the form.

Validation can be done on the fly, submit not.
I filed this request. It makes not only sense but is probably the future of "forms".
Just, I must state again that this will require long-term development, not short-term solutions.

- Seamless Integration
Automatically create a partial entry when a user begins to fill out a form.

Similar to above, this goes hand in hand.

Basically, this will change the face and way CRED acts to 100%.
That will require a lot of work, but I fully agree that we cannot just neglect this.

To conclude:
- I will discuss this with the Developers, as it requires a new scope for CRED alltogether.
- I will try to convince that this is important, as I also see this workflow as the most probable future.
User side, not Server side interaction.

I think we can close this ticket, as eventual updates, you would surely notice BlogPosts or ChangeLogs.

Thank you for the suggestions.

"I am not familiar with the software you use and we would need to have some details on how this is supposed to work.

If you mean a mechanism that notifies you when a client submits a form with not enough data or wrong data, will not be added to CRED through any other 3rd party I think, because CRED does that already."

Zapier (similar to IFTTT) is an integration tool between services. So it takes information captured in one system (e.g. CRED, Gravity Forms, WP Forms, etc.) and pipes it to another system (e.g. a CRM like ActiveCampaign) in an automated way.

"if you mean notification on when the form is abandoned, this requires a lot of details on "how it should work".
it has. lot of options on how something like that should or could work.
If you have a vision on how this could work, please let us know so I can connect this to the eventual request."

Yep, the GravityForms and WPForms links in the post spoke to that behavior.

"These are massive developments that we want to do, CRED must receive such updates to survive.
Times of HTML/PHP forms are over, and user-side systems take over.
This is something we will do, and I assume that things will get much smoother with CRED in future"

Thank you for recognizing this, Beda. Yes, for CRED to be a serious contender in the Forms space, it really needs to step up it's game, and do so quickly.

Gravity Forms & WPForms has so many useful _business_ features that I'm hoping the CRED team takes them seriously. As it stands, even though I'm a Toolset user... I plan to use GF or WPF just because of how much better it will _solve_ my pain points.

This isn't a knock on CRED because I want to see it make great progress in being able to compete and lead with the top Form builders out there.

But imagine how many people are evaluating CRED as a viable form builder, seeing how difficult it is to work with it from a UX/UI/workflow POV, not understanding how the solution can solve their problems... Then NOT offering any feedback, and just going off to a competitor.

As a business owner, my main goal isn't to mess around with the tech. I have too many other competing priorities that I need to focus on that if CRED can quickly and easily solve problems I need to solve with my Forms in a painless way, I'll be sharing how great CRED is with everyone I know.

And to be honest... CRED could probably be better than GF or WPForms because it's unique in that it's part of a suite of tools within the Toolset eco-system. That is it's biggest strength and the team should really take advantage of this solid base & foundation -- I imagine you could do a lot of interesting advanced capabilities by cross-leveraging the power of Types / Views / Layouts / WPML / etc. without degrading loading speed or performance.

Lastly, I made a quick video highlighting UX/UI gaps through the Toolset experience (and not just with the plugin, even with the exchange on this forum! ?)

hidden link

Hopefully, you can help bring a renewed energy to improving the culture of the team/company on focusing more UX/UI/design/ease of use from _end user_ perspectives. Thanks for considering my feedback.

Conclusion:

- Look to the leading Form builders / solutions to understand why they're doing what they're doing, such as:
-- hidden link -- their base design isn't amazing, but their form building UX is _incredible_!!!
-- hidden link
-- hidden link (these are the same guys behind hidden link, an incredibly useful business tool, and they _understand_ design/UX)
-- hidden link (pay attention to top features)

- Create and improve a seamless and user-friendly Design/UI/UX/workflow experience from the End User perspective (and not the developers)
- Add features that solve _business/end user_ problems
- Lead by coming up with innovative new features to stay ahead of the competition

Best,

Hi Beda,

Following up on this.

Re: Partial Entry - Okay, I understand this will be reviewed for inclusion in the future.

Next:

1.) Is there a way to use Zapier to pass the values of the form upon submit to my email service provider, such as ActiveCampaign? Example - hidden link

2.) Is there a way to re-create the form in this GIF? hidden link

On the backend, for each value (e.g. 1 BR, 2 BR, etc.) or value-mix (e.g. 1 BR, 1 BA) there is a corresponding URL that I can associate with that combination, which will take them to the same destination, but with different UTM values. (e.g. hidden link etc.)

3.) For both of these, how difficult is it to create something like this with CRED? Due to ease-of-use, I'm currently debating whether I should deploy Gravity Forms / Formidable Forms / WP Forms to accomplish this goal, or if CRED can easily be implemented to do this. Are there any video tutorials in action to show how it can be done?

Thanks!

The forum ‘Types Community Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.