Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Layouts not assigning to pages

This support ticket is created 7 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 22 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shane 7 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author
Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 5.55.25 PM.png

I have a development site on a local server. No matter what I do I can't get layouts to assign to pages. With custom post types there is no problem, but on pages I get the attached error. I've changed to default theme and Starter theme. Disabled all plugins, and reinstalled Layouts, Types and Views from scratch. I've tried all different layouts, default layouts etc.

Makes no difference - nothing I do will get the layouts assigned to the pages.

I have now moved this site to a public server: hidden link

Still the same problem - no pages will display with a layout. I've tried assigning multiple different layouts - nothing works. Created new test page, new layout etc. No difference. Any idea?

The layouts and views were imported from a different site - I don't know if that is the root cause of the problem, but I've done this in the past with no issue.

Screen Shot 2016-12-07 at 4.01.37 PM.png

Also strange - if I'm logged in as admin I'm getting an error message in the front end in the header and footer. This is not using a content template - it's a Visual Editor Cell in the parent layout.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Ian,

Thank you for contacting our support forum.

Would you mind if I took a look at this through the backend ?

I'll enable the private fields for your next response.

Thanks,
Shane

Details sent!

Shane
Supporter

Hi Ian,

That is very very strange.

Has this issue recently started happening or was it happening long before.

Please let me know as it could be an issue with the layouts plugin or with the theme.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Thanks,
Shane

I have dozens of sites built in Toolset and this is the first time I've seen it. It's a new site but I imported all the views/layouts from another site.

I've tried the main bootstrap theme (not child) - no difference. Updating to WordPress 4.7 made no difference, neither did reinstalling plugins etc. I've tried everything.

Feel free to do whatever you want to try stuff - it's just a dev site and I have a backup.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Ian,

Could you try resetting the site ?

It could be that the importation corrupt something in the Database.

Try resetting the site and importing the data once more.

Looking forward to hearing the results of this.

Thanks,
Shane

I have created a blank WordPress site, and run imports of Types, Views and Layouts from this IPPR site - i.e. exported only the Toolset settings from the existing site, without any data, and imported into this new site. Created a few blank pages and.... same problem. None of the pages will display with the layouts.

How could a blank site with a fresh install of everything do this? Is there something corrupt in the Types/Views/Layouts settings? You can try your end - I'm sure you can replicate it.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Ian,

Could you send me a copy of the export files so I can have try it on my test site.

Thanks,
Shane

All files sent. Thanks!

Shane
Supporter

Hi Ian,

Thank you for the exports. I managed to test and verify that I was not able to replicate the problem.

When I import the files it works perfectly and I was able to assign a Layout to a poage like normal.

Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

Hi Ian,

I made a quite interesting discovery.

So when I import all your layouts and views and Types exports and then start creating my own content from that and then assign a Layout that I imported it works fine .

However importing your sql data causes this not to work anymore so i'm assuming that something is up with the Pages data.

Thanks,
Shane

Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 9.44.39 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 9.49.49 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 9.45.02 AM.png

Hi Shane

I'm not sure what magic you're performing, because this is my experience, which I've repeated several times on different machines with exactly the same result:

1. Create new clean WordPress install (4.6.1. but tried with 4.7 also)
2. Install Types, register and use the built in installer to install Views & Layouts, and activate all.
3. Install Toolset Starter theme.
4. Toolset Export/Import - import the types, views and layouts files I sent you (the exports from the existing site).
5. Open PAGE layout and assign it to all pages.
6. Go to front end and view the default sample page (no other content in the database - no pages, custom post types etc.)
7. Page has no layout assigned - despite the fact that it is assigned in the back end.

I've attached screengrabs to prove all of this - what are you doing to get it to work? This is clearly nothing to do with the SQL database, so you can exclude this as the cause, because I didn't import any SQL data.

Thanks, Ian

Hi Shane

I thought I was going crazy, so I've repeated the experiment several times with different parameters and found out conclusively where the problem is - it is the Types export archive from my site, not the Views or Layouts.

I created a fresh WordPress installation, and enabled Starter theme and the 3 Toolset plugins. A new layout creates fine and works on a new page. As soon as I run the import of the Types export (just Types, not Views or Layouts) from my site to create all the post types that same layout no longer works on the page.

Are you able to look at that Types export file for me to find out where the bug is? At the moment my new site is completely disabled - I can't get the existing site to work and I can't import the data to a new site.

thanks, Ian

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.