Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Home page white screen of death

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
After I duplicated a site from my testing server to the live server, the home page does not appear. Other pages on the site appear, but not the home page -- it shows just white screen.

Solution:
1. Please Enable WordPress debugging in your site and look for any errors on your homepage or error_log file

2. One common reason of white screen is WP Memory limit is hit, please added these lines in wp-config.php file

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

- If possible, check check the duplicator package on another server (like Localhost) or any other online server to confirm if package, database & files are in good state.

Relevant Documentation:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/debugging-toolset/
http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-fix-the-wordpress-white-screen-of-death/

This support ticket is created 7 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 -
- 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Noman 7 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Noman.

Author

I am trying to: get the home page of my Toolset to appear

I visited this URL: lynnsanders.yoga/dev

I expected to see: The same home page from my dev site (hidden link)

Instead, I got: a white screen

After I duplicated a site from my testing server to the live server, the home page wouldn't appear. Other pages on the site appear (lynnsanders.yoga/dev/about-lynn), but not the home page.

Things I've tried to remedy this:
- update Permalinks
- turned off all plugins
- switched themes to twentyseventeen

When I switched themes to twentyseventeen I could see my home page, so I believe this is something to do with Toolset. Would you be able to help me with this, please?

Kind regards, Russell

Noman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Russell,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please Enable WordPress debugging in your site and look for any errors on your homepage or error_log file (screenshot of error will help us as well): https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/debugging-toolset/

One common reason of white screen is WP Memory limit is hit, please added these lines in wp-config.php file:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

Please let me know what happens after you have tried above steps. Thank you

Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 14.46.28.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 14.42.58.png

Hey Noman:

Good to hear from you again — you've helped before with a different site. I've done the updates you requested and I'm afraid I'm still getting the white screen. The error log that popped out reads:

[12-Jul-2017 13:39:33 UTC] PHP Warning:  define() expects at least 2 parameters, 1 given in /home/hp3-linc5-nfs2-z/544/1349544/user/htdocs/dev/wp-config.php on line 86
[12-Jul-2017 13:39:33 UTC] PHP Warning:  define() expects at least 2 parameters, 1 given in /home/hp3-linc5-nfs2-z/544/1349544/user/htdocs/dev/wp-config.php on line 88

Does that help diagnose the issue at all? Attached is a screengrab of both my wp-config file, to show where I tweaked it, and the white screen (though I don't know that helps any!).

I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers, Russell

Noman
Supporter

Thank you for providing more details. Ok not seeing anything specific that related to the issue. Is it possible for you to check the duplicator package on another server (like Localhost) or any other online server? Sometimes issues occur during migration from one server to another when some database records got corrupted or has some issues during migration. So it would be great if you can check it or by re-creating the package using latest duplicator plugin.

If nothing helps, I would need to request temporary website WP-admin and FTP info for your site to debug further and to help in resolving this. Your next answer will be private which means only you and I have access to it.

=== Please backup your database and website ===

✙ I would additionally need your permission to de-activate and re-activate Plugins and the Theme, and to change configurations on the site. This is also a reason the backup is really important. Thank you

Hey Noman:

I've had a slight change of plans. I may install this on a different server entirely. I'm also going to do it in the old-fashioned way of transferring a WordPress site — not using a duplicator plugin — so if that doesn't go well I'll come back to you.

Thanks for your help though.

Cheers, Russell

Noman
Supporter

okay sure, thank you for letting us know. Have a great day 🙂 Thanks

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.