Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Hide certain info from frontend users

This support ticket is created 2 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shane 2 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

Hello,

I am trying to create a directory for churches. I would like to display the directory to users for them to be able to see information on each location. However, I would also like have certain fields hidden to the public. (i.e. Date of Birth) . Is there a way to create the database in such a way that certain fields are only for backend use and certain ones are visible in the directory?

Additionally, is there an option to add a functionality for users to submit changes to a location? Say for example I have the hours of operation of a certain location incorrect, can a user submit a change to the location, and I be able to approve or deny those changes?

Thank You

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for getting in touch.
I would like to display the directory to users for them to be able to see information on each location. However, I would also like have certain fields hidden to the public. (i.e. Date of Birth) .

Custom fields won't automatically show up on the frontend when created. You will need to add the fields that you want to display on the frontend to the template itself.

Secondly is it a case where you want the Date of Birth field to only display for logged in users? Or you don't want it to be displayed at all.
Additionally, is there an option to add a functionality for users to submit changes to a location? Say for example I have the hours of operation of a certain location incorrect, can a user submit a change to the location, and I be able to approve or deny those changes?

If it is a random user then Yes and No. Yes in that you can create a suggestion for improvement form and add it to the listing page and the user can send any changes/improvement suggestions. From there you as the admin can then make that change on the actual listing itself.

The second method is that there can be a frontend edit form that the user can submit that will allow you to edit the post directly. However I only recommend this option for the person who is the author of the post.

Please let me know if this helps.
Thanks,
Shane

thank you for your timely response.

For your question - Secondly is it a case where you want the Date of Birth field to only display for logged in users? Or you don't want it to be displayed at all. : The answer is I don't want it to be displayed at all, it should be just for admin backend use.

Yes, it is a random user ( I want to allow even guest users to be able to submit changes) but I would like if they don't automatically get posted. Is there a way to change the edit post default to "pending"?

I have one final question - for a user that wants to add a listing themselves (not edit an existing one) is there a way to do it in the frontend? If yes, is there a way to allow the user to add all fields that I have created for listings, even the ones just for admin -(date of birth), but then once it gets published, to only show the standard items to all users like explained above, and hide the admin backend ones that are meant not to be displayed? (In other words, can I still give ability for someone to enter the data that is hidden in frontend)

Thank you!

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

The answer is I don't want it to be displayed at all, it should be just for admin backend use.

Then the custom field won't display on the frontend unless you explicitly added it to your page's template.

Yes, it is a random user ( I want to allow even guest users to be able to submit changes) but I would like if they don't automatically get posted. Is there a way to change the edit post default to "pending"?

Ok so you are able to set this up with the edit form, and when they submit the form it will set the post status as pending. However there isn't a way to track what the user has changed.

For further details on edit forms you can take a look at the link below.
https://toolset.com/course-lesson/front-end-forms-for-editing-content/

for a user that wants to add a listing themselves (not edit an existing one) is there a way to do it in the frontend?

Yes there is, have a look at the link below.
https://toolset.com/course-lesson/front-end-forms-for-adding-content/

As mentioned, even if the user populates all the fields only the ones that you specify in the template will display on the frontend.
Thanks,
Shane

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.