Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Get get custom taxonomy archive to work with toolset starter

This support ticket is created 7 years, 5 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by clementH 7 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

I am trying to: Set up an archive for a custom taxonomy but not getting any results in Starter Theme based on the real estate reference site

I visited this URL:

I expected to see:

Instead, I got:
I am building a site for venues, I used the Real Estate with Layouts sample site. I added a custom taxonomy and was trying to set up the archive for it, I noticed the 'archive.php' file is missing from the starter theme, replaced it with various formats but all I am getting is the taxonomy title but no venues that are under that category.

Site is here: hidden link

What could I be doing wrong? I built custom taxonomy archives (using a third party theme with archive page) without a problem before...

thanks

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 13.22.07.png

Hi Clement

I have a local test site using the Toolset Starter theme (though I haven't installed the Real Estate Reference site).

The theme doesn't include an archive.php file, which means that for archives WordPress will fall back to index.php, as per the template hierarchy. So the omission of an archive.php file is not in itself a cause of any problems.

If you want a custom taxonomy archive (i.e. display posts with the matching taxonomy term provided by the url), then you need to have a custom WordPress archive which you then add to a Layout using a WordPress archive cell and then you assign that Layout to the taxonomy archive.

You can either set up the WordPress archive at Toolset > WordPress archives and add it to your layout, or you can create a new archive from within Layouts with the archive cell.

In the screenshot you can see that I have a layout assigned to my Status taxonomy archive.

Do you have a layout assigned to your taxonomy archive, and does that layout include a WordPress archive cell?

Ah, a simple oversight on my part, thank you very much for the usual quick response and assistance.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.