Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Export Views settings fails with errors

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
Client is trying to export Toolset settings, which works for each plugin except for Views, where the wrong format of file is generated and errors appear in the PHP log.

Solution:
There are certain circumstances where generating the export XML file fails, which will be fixed in the next release.

Meanwhile a patch is available in the linked erratum.

Relevant Documentation:
https://toolset.com/errata/prevent-php-fatal-errors-during-views-exporting-when-view-settings-are-corrupted-or-view-uses-images-that-no-longer-exist/

This support ticket is created 6 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 4.81 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 22 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 6 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi Kelvin

A fix for these problems will be included in the next Views release soon, but in the meantime you can try the patch described in this erratum: https://toolset.com/errata/prevent-php-fatal-errors-during-views-exporting-when-view-settings-are-corrupted-or-view-uses-images-that-no-longer-exist/

Let me know if you still encounter problems.

Dear Nigel,

I follow the step to copy the wpv-import-export.php to wp-views/inc folder, I export the Views but not successful.

Except copying the file, what else I need to do? I do use another browser to avoid any cache.

Best regards,

Kelvin.

Nigel
Supporter

I just tested it myself on my local copy of your site and it worked.

First, I updated all of the Toolset plugins to the latest versions (there have been several updates since you reported the issue).

Then I downloaded and unzipped the file from the linked erratum, and I replaced the existing file plugins/wp-views/inc/wpv-import-export.php with the new file.

Then I went to Toolset > Export / Import to the Views tab and exported the Views settings.

This time it worked correctly, generating a zip file with the expected contents.

If it is not working for you, what happens? Do you see errors? What file is generated?

Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 10.44.09 PM.png

Dear Nigel,

I try to update the plugins, I got

Connection failed! Please refresh the page and try again. (cURL error 7: Failed to connect to api.toolset.com port 443: Connection timed out)

How can I solve? I could update 3 out of 5 toolset plugins.

Best regards,

Kelvin.

Dear Nigel,

I manually update all toolset plugins and try again, it failed and output filename as export_shorturl_20180716.txt

If I deactivate the Short URL plugins, it works. I need this plugin, any reason the output is Short URL instead of Views?

Website of Short URL: https://wordpress.org/plugins/shorten-url/

Best regards,

Kelvin.

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Kelvin

I installed the Short URL plugin and found the same issue with exporting Views settings.

From your comments it sounds like the original issue is fixed, the compatibility with Short URL is a new issue.

We can open a new thread to follow this up, but it looks as if that plugin has been abandoned (no updates for > 2 years), so it is almost certain that our developers will not spend any time looking into the cause.

Can you not simply temporarily disable the plugin when you export the Views settings and then re-enable it?

If for some reason you cannot then I would suggest you find an alternative plugin with similar functionality that is actively maintained and try using that instead. If it also creates problems exporting settings then we can look into that.

Dear Nigel,

Many thanks for your comment, I think I can temporarily disable the plugins if I need to export. I think I won't export until next migration.

It is hard to find an alternative because some short links have been created a long time ago, if change, some links will be broken.

Usually, not only for this plugins, this problem may be caused by the same function call name, of course, I am appreciated if toolset can have the further study on it and ensure no function call be same with others and it can make toolset be 100% conflict free.

Best regards,

Kelvin.

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Kelvin

I know that the developers won't look at this because the other plugin is not actively maintained, and if there needed to be some cooperation between Toolset and the plugin author to ensure compatibility it would likely not be possible.

I suggest you leave a support comment on the plugin page saying that when that plugin is activated it breaks the Toolset settings export. If the author responds in any way then we can escalate this and investigate further.

Let me know what happens.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.