Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Error when selecting the taxonomy across the site

This support ticket is created 7 years, 4 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Beda 7 years, 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

Hi. On my client's site, I've built a many-to-many solution and it's working great. Products (Machines) are Owned (CPT) by Companies (CPT).

hidden link
this page has the parametric searches and the CREDs I'm using to add to the site. The Machine Search and Company Search show the taxonomy. I'm using the Woo Product Taxonomy on the CPTs (added in the functions file).

I'm getting an error that I can't seem to unwind. Here's what's happening:

the error:
Fatal error: Call to a member function get_cells_of_type() on integer in /home/micha768/public_html/pm/wp-content/plugins/layouts/classes-auto/wpddl.layouts.render.manager.class.php on line 885

The error occurs whenever you click on the product category, whether in Woo or in the CPTs I've built. You can look at the products on the site or the results in the Layouts I've set up. Am I missing a thing that I need to set up to show the categories?

When I click a category, the URL appears to be formed properly but something is eating it.

Thanks.

I applied an update to Layouts and now the Category content doesn't display - it shows this:

"You need to select a layout for this page. The layout selection is available in the page editor."

I reviewed my settings and I thought I'm set to use the standard Woo display of products and categories. No product detail shows when when a category is selected. Can I disconnect layouts from the standard Woo function and use it only in the custom searches I've created?

Can you guide me please?

Thanks

1. The Fatal error you see, should be this one:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/activating-layouts-plugin-breaks-frontend-category-display-with-php-fatal-error/

As far I know, this should be solved with the latest Update.
To confirm this, I asked the Developers for a statement, but could you confirm to me, if with the latest update the error is solved?

2. Can I disconnect layouts from the standard Woo function and use it only in the custom searches I've created?

I am not 100% what you mean by the "Woo function", but I assume, you ask if it's possible to use Layouts on certain content of your Website, but not on others, like in WooCommerce Content.

This is partially possible.
For WooCommerce, you use the WooCommerce Views Plugin and under it's settings (Toolset > WooCommerce Views) you can choose what template to use for what kind of content.
But this is relatively limited, so it does not allow you to filter single content of WooCommerce.

The idea is that when you use Layouts, you generally want to use it all over your Site.

Now, if #1 is solved, I usually should ask for a new ticket so to handle new issues.

It's a bit overkill to ask for that in this very case here, so if your first issue is solved we can, if you wish, proceed with issue #2 as well here, or, perfect would be in a new thread.

I would as first need to know, if you ulitamtely would like to use Layouts everywhere, and then, where it does not work as expected.

Or, if you do not want to use Layouts everywhere, I could check if we can use some custom code, but as said, it's the general purpose of Layouts to be "used everywhere or not at all".
This sounds scary, but it has it's reasons.

Please let me know, about the state of things, so we can proceed 🙂

Hi. Thank you for your response. Whenever I click on a woocommerce taxonomy link on the site, it does not show the products in the category. The parent categories do show, however. The category links don't work anywhere: On the site menu, in the custom searches, in the store pages, etc.

My current work is in creating a machine search function where I search text in the titles and custom fields as well as the woocommerce taxonomy (via checkboxes). I built the search function using layouts and a view cell. You can see the search here: hidden link

I am using version 2.0 .7 of layouts. I no longer get the error code; just no display of products in the category page.

Here is my hesitancy to using layouts everywhere: I am using the YITH quote basket function in woocommerce so visitors request a quote and my client responds using the plugin. Soon, additionally, we will add products that will be for sale on the site using a payment gateway. I am concerned that using a non-woocommerce template might break the quote function. But I'm open to trying and testing. What do I need to do to apply layouts to the standard woocommerce product taxonomy so it works?

If I abandon layouts and just use Views for the parametric search, can I take the information in the views cell in layouts and turn it into a view or am I missing something?

Thanks.

IMG_0142.PNG

Hi. I did some further exploration and I can see how woocommerce views can provide the template for the category archives. I would prefer to not have to rebuild all of those layouts and want to use the woocommerce default. I see that layouts is supposed to be using the woocommerce templates... I included a screenshot here of my Settings

If I disable layouts plug-in, what happens to the view cells that I created for my custom searches?

Please use the prior post and this one in preparing your response.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks

The Views (mind you, not WordPress Archives) will just need to be re-inserted as ShortCodes somewhere you want to use them.

It does not matter whether you created them within Layouts or as standalone and then inserted the Cell.
They can just be used as ShortCodes if you disable Layouts.

The WordPress Archives you have to recreate.
That is because if you created them within Layouts, the Query will be "the archive(s) to which the Layout is assigned."

If you created the Archive outside of Layouts as standalone, they still apply to the chosen post type.

Otherwise, those need to be recreated.

Please perform a Full Backup before you start with this.

Let me know if this is helpful for you, I would like if you could proceed with your project in the exact way you want.

Hi. So what I think I need help with is the way to create the category archives with layouts so I get a grid (table) of products with the product image, the title and an "add to quote" button. You can see the what I mean with the products on the home page here: hidden link

When I click a product category in the main menu or on the results of the machine search (via Views), the system is looking for the Layout. Can you point me to a link to guide me on the best way to create that archive template?

Thanks.

I thought you will not use Layouts?
Layouts must be either used or not.
I suggest, in your situation, to disable that plugin.

You should keep WooCommerce Views, Views, and Types, of course.

You can create a GRID with the Loop Wizard of the View, there is no need to use Layouts for that.
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/view-layouts-101/

How to create an Archive for Products is elaborated here:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/custom-pagination-for-wordpress-archives/
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/normal-vs-archive-views/
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/editing-view-templates/using-view-templates-for-archive-and-taxonomy-pages/
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/getting-started-woocommerce-views/

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.