Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Displaying a list of users with sort controls

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
How to display a list of users with filter controls for searching or sorting?

Solution:
You can create a View to list users, but not with front-end controls which is currently not supported.

A common workaround is to create posts for user profiles, which can then have the full range of features available in post Views.

Relevant Documentation:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/how-to-create-custom-searches-and-relationships-for-users/

This support ticket is created 6 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 6 years, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I can display a list of specific users on the front-end, but am unable to include any sort-controls
Is there any documentation that you are following?
Have tried several user related tutorials
Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site?

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi Rick

It's not supported I'm afraid.

The developers recently discussed the feature request of custom search for users (this would essentially fall under the same) and decided not to implement it (because of other priorities, not because it's a bad idea).

There is a workaround that clients have used for some time, which is to create *posts* for users which contain custom fields for profile info etc. which you connect to the actual users either through a custom field or using the post author field.

Then you can do with your "users" whatever you can do with posts, including custom searches and front-end sorting controls.

That's currently the only means of implementing what you want I'm afraid.

I will, though, pass on this request to see if they might implement front-end user sorting on its own.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.