Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Custom fields not getting updated

This support ticket is created 6 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by indianplayschools 6 years, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

When I add a value to custom field, it remains empty when clicked on publish or update button.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

hidden link

This a new issue as I never experienced this problem since 5 years of using the same form. please resolve.
I have shared the login details. FTP is not working properly.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi there

On the form there is a phone number field. The problem is that when submitting the form this field is not saved, is that correct?

I tried to look at the Content Template used for this page but when I go to edit it via Toolset > Content Templates the edit screen does not load, and I see JavaScript errors in the browser console.

I understand this is a live site, so I am taking a duplicate of the site to install locally for testing, and will update you once I have done that.

Nigel
Supporter

I found that there is a conflict with the plugin "Page Speed" that is causing the JavaScript errors, and I will report that.

Can you please test on your site if disabling the plugin resolves the problem on your form?

If not I will keep investigating, but in that case, please confirm the issue is as I described above, that the phone field does not save.

I removed page speed plugin. I also checked by deactivating all other plugins too. But, I am unable to save the entered values for phone number, e-mail, website etc., Please help.

Nigel
Supporter

Hi there

I think I misunderstood your question.

Your link is to the front-end page containing a form showing a pre-school, but the issue is on the back end when you edit a pre-school and the custom fields are not saved.

I don't see the same problem on the copy of your site I made and installed locally. I can modify the field values and save them without issue.

It is not clear what the problem on your main site is. Do you have a staging server for testing?

Thank you for your reply. I am trying to add custom fields to a new preschool(custom post). But the contact number, e-mail id are not updated and remain empty after saving. Please login using the credentials on my live website and check this issue. Your plugin has helped me immensely all these years as I am not a tech savvy. Hope you can resolve this issue. A few days back, a malicious activity has been obesevred on my website which was reported by my hosting provider. They said that some root level hacking has been detected. Can this be due to this issue?

Nigel
Supporter

Hi there

Yes, I understand the issue is that when you save a preschool post the custom fields are not saved at the same time.

It works on the copy I made and installed locally, so the issue appears to be with your server. If your host has warned you that there has been a hacking attempt then I suspect that something has been affected on the server which is causing this.

You may need someone suitably experienced to help you with this.

First, I would re-install WordPress. Go to Dashboard > Updates to re-install.

The reason is, when I was taking a copy of your site I first tried Duplicator which makes a complete copy—including the WordPress installation—but I was unable to get it to work, and so I used All-in-One WP Migration instead. That works slightly differently because you import its backup archive into a clean WP installation. So the most obvious difference between the copy on my server and yours is WordPress itself.

I did notice when trying to create a Duplicator package that the site was extremely large and there appeared to be old redundant installations of WordPress in the same directory. I couldn't say for sure without FTP access.

Many hosts now offer a staging environment where you can test changes before pushing to the live site, and if your host does not offer this you may want to consider changing.

If re-installing WP doesn't fix the problem, I would want to make a complete backup (using All-in-One WP Migration, for example) and the starting on a server with a brand new WP installation to remove any legacy issues or issues arising from hacking attempts.

Thank You very much for your detailed explanation. I will take the necessary back up and rebuild the site. The problem might be due to hacking.
I am keeping this ticket open for a few days to ensure the continuity. I will speak to my web host and try to fix it and post it here if I am successful in editing the custom fields.
Thanks

Nigel
Supporter

Let me mark this as waiting for feedback from you while you work with your host.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your patience.
My toolset is working fine. It was actually what you had guessed.
I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart. Instead of saying that it was not our issue, you tried to solve it for me. As you said, I took the backup using wp all in one migrate plugin(which I was unaware of). I asked my hosting provider to rebuild the server. I have imported back the back up and the website is working fine now. Thank you very much for the kind support.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.