Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Custom Field Filter containing dates are compared to epoch datetime

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
A View filter uses TODAY() for a date comparison, and it doesn't work because that generates a timestamp and the non-Types date field is stored in the mySQL format.

Solution:
If your custom field must be in a non-timestamp format then the solution is to use the wpv_filter_query hook to modify the query arguments so that they compare the dates in the same format.

Relevant Documentation:
https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/views-filters/#wpv_filter_query

This support ticket is created 5 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by patriceB-2 5 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author
toolset-support-custom-field-filter-date-epoch.png

Hi,

I'm building an archive view with a custom field filter.

I'm comparing the custom field to 'TODAY', as shown in the attached file.

I always got no results in my view, so I opened the code and noticed the 'TODAY' sql statement used the epoch format ('timestamp').

My question:

Do custom fields containing dates must be formatted with epoch format, rather than standard WordPress ('mysql') format ?

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi Patrice

Types date fields are stored as UNIX timestamps, hence when you add a date Query Filter it expects to use a timestamp for the comparison, which is what the functions such as TODAY() will generate. (And as timestamps are numbers, the comparison should be NUMBER.)

If you are using a non-Types field where the date is not stored as a timestamp, you should use the wpv_filter_query hook and manually set up the query arguments as required.

https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/views-filters/#wpv_filter_query

Brilliant. I should have thought of it !

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.