Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Bug – Edit with DIVI Builder/Editor not available for archive page customisation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I would like to use Divi Builder to customize my WordPress Archive pages

Solution: You can use Content Templates in a WordPress Archive, and Content Templates can be designed with Divi Builder. You cannot edit Content Templates directly inside the WordPress Archive editor, you must use the Content Template editor. A button in the WordPress Archive editor will direct you to the template editor page.

Relevant Documentation:
https://toolset.com/documentation/recommended-themes/toolset-divi-integration/design-archives-for-custom-post-types-with-divi-builder-and-toolset/

This support ticket is created 6 years, 9 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by John Crumpton 6 years, 8 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

I can customise my single CPT, for example adding a H1 and coloured header bar for "News", however I can't do this with the Archives page for that same CPT!

I had expected to see the Edit with Divi Builder option for the whole archive page template, not just the loop item. This seems like a fundamental missing feature with DIVI. I can't add a page heading or the same header from single posts.

Under "How to develop Layouts-based themes" https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/develop-layouts-based-themes/ it shows "Archive page" with Visual Editors [wpv-archive-title] to allow you to add page titles and header styling, so it must have been envisaged by the dev team. It's just missing for DIVI users.

You can add some items the top in the "Filter Editor" such as a H1 but you can't export you page title header layout from single and copy this into the archive. I have to now manually make the archive-news.php and single-news.php in my child theme.

I can't override the archive with archive.php or archive-CPT.php in my child theme, I have to use Types to manage this which limits my customisation and header design options (ie I can't use the Divi builder to design the custom archive).

The only way around this, is creating a view which works as the archive, the placing this on a page.

Hope you are able to look into this. Thanks

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi John,

Thank you for contacting our support forum.

YOu should be able to use the divi builder in all areas where a content template is used.

Would you mind providing me with admin access to the site so that I can check on this for you ?

The private fields will be enabled for your next response.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The site is localhost at the moment, so you wont be able to login. I would encourage you to try this on a testing site for yourself as this functionality isn't possible with DIVI and Toolset. It is with Layouts though!

I have found a solution via using a plugin called "CPT Layout Injector" this allows me to design the page template for archives and use a similar one for single posts (of the same CPT) and use this as DIVI layouts. The plugin allows me to assign an archive or single post for a CPT to a particular layout.

I then use a custom View (made in Toolset) in the main content area for the archive and a different one for the single posts.

Hi, Shane is on vacation so I've been asked to help with this ticket. I hope that's okay with you. Shane was explaining that it's possible to use Divi Builder to design a WordPress Archive without Layouts. Here are the steps:
- Create a new Content Template, and do not assign that template to any content
- Use Divi Builder to design the "loop" that should be displayed on your WordPress Archive
- Create a WordPress Archive for the archive you want to design. In the Loop Output area, remove any content from the wpv-loop tags.
- Insert the Content Template you built with Divi inside the wpv-loop tags using the Content Template button above the text editor
- To design the area outside the loop, create another Content Template, edit it with Divi Builder, and insert it using the same process.

You cannot edit Content Templates from inside the WordPress Archive editor, you must use the Content Template editor. I hope this helps! Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks for responding. I've not had time to check this with the Christmas/New Year break. I will try your suggestion and report back.

Sure, I will mark this ticket as pending an update from you. No need to reply right away. The ticket will remain active for 30 days.

I can confirm this works!

Not the most obvious though, perhaps this could be made a little clearer, or a tutorial created in the documentation?

"How to add a custom header to an archive with Toolset using the DIVI builder"

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.