Skip Navigation

[Resolved] blank theme template

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

The user wants to create a blank theme since the starter theme is no longer available.

Solution:

Actually you are correct in that we do not offer the Toolset Starter theme anymore. This is because of the direction that our development team has taken in improving our toolset plugins.

They are now made more compatible with themes and the full customization that you would normally have with our Toolset Starter theme is no longer there.

Unfortunately I cannot recommend a completely blank theme to you as our Toolset plugins should work with most themes that are available.

Even though I cannot recommend a blank theme I can however recommend the Astra theme as a good starting point because it is a pretty light weight theme.

Finally the only documentation on how to make a toolset based theme can be seen below. Granted this may not be what you are looking for exactly.
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/toolset-based-themes/

This support ticket is created 5 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by dazone 5 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

Hi There,

This is the first new Toolset project I have started for a while.

You used to offer a free toolset starter theme. This was great as it didn't really provide any functionality just a blank slate for developing a new site over.

As you have now stopped. I was wondering if there was a blank theme template that you offer. As an advanced user, I don't really want to use any of the "recommended" themes as they don't provide the level of control I'd like.

One of my biggest gripes when I first started out with WordPress development was when using a theme that somebody else created, you seem to spend more time trying to hack it to get it to do what you want than you would have if you'd started from scratch. with the side effect that f started from scratch, the code would have been a LOT more coherent.

Ideally, I'd like a completely blank theme that sets up all of the hooks needed for the Toolset suite that I can extend (with a new child theme). From there I'd like to add pages, post types, views and Layouts as needed. In pretty much the same way as the old toolset starter theme works but I'll add my own CSS and things if needed.

Failing that some good documentation on setting up a new theme from scratch that is fully compatible with Toolset would suffice.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting our support forum.

Actually you are correct in that we do not offer the Toolset Starter theme anymore. This is because of the direction that our development team has taken in improving our toolset plugins.

They are now made more compatible with themes and the full customization that you would normally have with our Toolset Starter theme is no longer there.

Unfortunately I cannot recommend a completely blank theme to you as our Toolset plugins should work with most themes that are available.

Even though I cannot recommend a blank theme I can however recommend the Astra theme as a good starting point because it is a pretty light weight theme.

Finally the only documentation on how to make a toolset based theme can be seen below. Granted this may not be what you are looking for exactly.
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/toolset-based-themes/

Please let me know if this helps.
Thanks,
Shane

Thanks for the response Shane,

You say that toolset is now more compatible with themes. What I'm looking for is how do I set a theme up that is compatible with toolset.

I'm happy making my own blank theme if there isn't one available. There is just no apparent documentation as to what I need for a starting point.

Thanks again.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

It really comes down to how the content is being displayed.

Once you are using the_content() function to display your post content then it should make it compatible with toolset.

Because our plugin actually hooks into the to display the contents of our views.

Even if you use a custom function to display the post content then you can add your custom function name to our views settings in Toolset -> Settings -> Frontend Content -> Theme support for Content Templates.

In most cases views would automatically detect this.

Please let me know if this helps.

Thanks,
Shane

Thanks for that Shane. That's great news.

So in essence any barebones theme should in theory work.

This means that people can still use Toolset to create a fully original WordPress site without being a PHP developer simply by using a boilerplate theme such as Bones, _s (underscores) or HTML5Blank.

I'm now off to see just how versatile such an approach is =0]

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.