Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Adding Custom Posts to custom taxonomies – where/how to link?

This support ticket is created 3 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 - - 9:00 – 13:00
14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 - - 14:00 – 18:00

Supporter timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by benL-4 3 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Jamal.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do? I'm creating a directory of airports. I have a JSON feed which pulls all the data and using Toolset I've created over 2,000 custom posts, each with a custom field 'countryName'

I have created the custom taxonomy 'Countries' in the Toolset dashboard for my custom post template for airports.

The posts look OK but they are not sorted into countries. There are 254 in the UK which I've added manually. The rest should have gone into the USA category. As I add new countries, each should go into a new taxonomy that matches the 'countryName' field.

Surely there's some way to use the custom field to create a new country category, or if the category has to be created manually, link the custom field with the created category?

Is there any documentation that you are following? I've watched the video and read the documentation. Can't figure it out.

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site? hidden link

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

I'm not I follow what you are aiming to do, but it sounds like you are importing countries as a custom field, but really want them to be categories (taxonomies).

If you want a country taxonomy is there some reason you are not importing the posts with the country being used to set the country taxonomy term, rather than setting a custom field?

If I've mis-read what you need, can you please clarify?

Screenshot 2021-03-26 160004.jpg
Screenshot 2021-03-26 155914.jpg

Yes, the JSON data contains a countryName field and I want that create a new country category, or at least be used to allocate the post to a category that I've created.

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Nigel has replied first to not let you wait until a supporter takes this ticket. I'll continue with you on this.

I am not sure what plugin you are using for importing these posts, but I am sure, it has a way to import the country name as a taxonomy term instead of a custom field. Reconfigure the import that way and run it again.

Can you provide more details about the import process you are following? What plugin are you using?

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.