Skip Navigation

[Resolved] WPCF-Field not showing in social media

The Toolset Community Forum is closed, for technical support questions, please head on to our Toolset Professional Support (for paid clients), with any pre-sale or admin question please contact us here.
This support ticket is created 8 years, 4 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.
This is the community support forum for Types plugin, which is part of Toolset. Toolset is a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients and people who registered for Types community support can post in it.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 15 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by anitaB 8 years, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author
Blog on TW.PNG
Blog on FB.PNG

I am trying to: publish posts with wpcf-field to social media

I expect to see: posting a link on FB or TW i would expect to see the content that is wrapped in <div class="teaserTextSinglePage">TEXT</div>, which is the content in the custom field "wpcf-teaser" as follows:

"Herzlich willkommen zum überarbeiteten Museumsblog. Hand auf's Herz, dieses Projekt ist schon länger in Bearbeitung als uns lieb ist, aber gut Ding braucht manchmal Weile. Wir haben uns bereits im Herbst 2014 intensiver Gedanken zur Umstrukturierung des Blogs gemacht und seitdem (manchmal mehr, manchmal weniger) kontinuierlich an der Umsetzung gearbeitet."

Instead, I get: social media skips the teaser in the custom field and shows the content in the native WP text editor as follows:

"Die Umstrukturierung unserer bestehenden und zukünftigen Inhalte basiert vor allem auf einer Analyse, die im Rahmen meines Studiums der Content-Strategie an der FH Joanneum entstanden ist. ..."

Anyone familiar with this issue? I appreciate your help!

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Anita,

Thank you for contacting our support forum.

Let me see how best I can assist you with this.

Could you let me know what kind of custom field is this?

If it is a WYSIWYG field then you will need to switch to the Text tab in order to write HTML code. Writing HTML code in the Visual tab won't work.

Please let me know if this helps.
Thanks,
Shane

hi shane,

thanks for getting back so quickly! it is a simple multiline text field, so i'm unable to add any code. the code is added via the design template. i just added the code above so when you look at the source code of the page you can better understand which text should show up on social media.

hidden link - sorry, forgot to mention that earlier.

thanks,
anita

Shane
Supporter

Hi Anita,

It would be best if you used a WYSIWYG custom field for this so that you can display your HTML code on the frontend.

The reason is that to get the HTML code from a multiline it would require some custom coding to pull the data directly from the database.

Please let me know if this helps.
Thanks,
Shane

code.PNG

hi shane,

i think there's a misunderstanding as to what i'm trying to achieve here. i don't intend to add any code to the custom field, it is on purpose that i can only add text.

all i want is for that text in the custom field at the beginning of my content to show up in the text snippet in social media when i paste a link from my blog post. i can't control how other platforms populate my content, but i can control my blog.

i've attached a screenshot from the wp-types template. i tried stripping the div-tag around my teaser text, but it didn't make a difference. even with a simple p-tag around my teaser, social media still pulled the wrong text. i tried different articles and in incognito mode with the same results.

somehow there seems to be a difference as to how other platforms treat WP native content versus custom fields and i don't understand what i can do to fix it on my end. the only solution i currently see is getting rid of the custom field, which we spent hours on filling for over 500 posts when we just migrated to a new domain...

i hope this better explains the problem. thanks!

Shane
Supporter

Hi Anita,

Could you let me know what kind of custom field is the teaser field?

Could you provide a screenshot of that as well ?

I want to see an example of the edit post screen with the custom field.

Thanks,
Shane

Custom field.PNG

here it is, the editor above is the native WP editor, and the one below another custom field.

thanks,
anita

Shane
Supporter

Hi Anita,

Thank you for the screenshot.

I think I am missing something here because the content in the custom field seems ok and the display on the front seems ok as well.

Not seeing the immediate issue.

I see that you wrapped the shortcode around a div that has a class. Is this the problem, the div not being rendered?

Please let me know.
Thanks,
Shane

hi shane,

indeed, you are. everything works fine on the blog, but when i paste a link into social media in order to share a post, the external platform skips the teaser text that should actually show - this goes back to my first post here and the screenshots attached.

again, i stripped the teaser text from all div tags and classes to see if that makes a difference. i thought maybe social media pulls the first paragraph in the content div, but that didn't work either. the only thing that works is if i paste the teaser text into the native editor. however, this would mean i can't use the custom field and i will have to revert all the work we've done pasting the text into that field.

does that make any sense?

thanks,
anita

Shane
Supporter

Hi Anita,

Ok so now I see the issue. You are using another plugin to share the texts on the social media.

The plugin only uses the native editor text. Unfortunately there isn't anything that I can do here because the issue is with the 3rd party plugin.

What i would recommend that you do is to contact the support team for the plugin and see if they can come up with a custom solution to include custom fields in your share content.

Thanks,
Shane

hi shane,

i don't use a third party plugin, i simply copy/paste the URL directly into FB/TW and the platforms pull the content. any other ideas?

thanks,
anita

Shane
Supporter

Hi Anita,

Ahh I get it now.

So still there isn't much I can do here, because its sharing to an external site 🙁

Facebook API chooses which content it should take and this is not something that we can change because its facebook taking the content it wants.

What I can do is to bounce this onto the team to see what they say about this and get back to you.

Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

Hi Anita,

To clarify you share this on the social media by just adding the link for the page on social media correct?

Please let me know.
Thanks,
Shane

correct, simply copy/paste.

thanks,
anita

Shane
Supporter

Hi Anita,

As suspected, unfortunately as mentioned this is not something that we can assist with 🙁

Social media sites chooses which data they pull from the site. We are not able to tell which data the site will pull.

I must apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Thanks,
Shane

The forum ‘Types Community Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.